SILVER! Several Firsts along the way!

moholedigger

Mar 15, 2008
Mexico, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Here go the Firsts. First post on finds, ever. First Silver of the year. First IH penny, ever. First Liberty Nickel, ever.
Well, up until know I have been a random md'er. I usually hunt 3-4 times a year. This past weekend my 13-year old step-son and I went out for a hunt. He has got me reinvigorated and we have been out six times now already this season, but all of that was in town at the parks and schools and every thing we found was clad. Not anymore.
Saturday we went out for an all day hunt. Started at a church my wife had attended as a little girl. It had been razed in the early 80's. At about 9:30 a.m. we started from just outside the parking lot area and worked our way in towards where the building stood. About 11:30 we had two clad pennies and a bunch of bottle caps and old cans. That was it. So I started working back to the truck and as I got in the parking lot, I hit a dime/penny on my White's XLT. BINGO! A 1936 Mercury dime, like new. I hit another clad penny or two. Then we decided to hit an old school just down the road. But, first we had to hunt down the land owner (four miles away) and get permission. No Luck. He said a friend had used a detector there but wouldn't let us and quite frankly was a little rude about it.
Looked at our county map and saw where another old school had been. Now it is cropland, with nothing planted. We hit it for about 20 minutes and had at least 10 cans (apparently this is the corner where the farm crew meets to have a break between tilling and harvesting). It was getting to be time for lunch (almost 2 p.m.) when I hit an 1898 Indian Head penny.
After lunch we went back to the church parking lot. My step-son hit a 1962 Roosie. I hit a 1907 Liberty Nickle. We also got another clad penny, a watch part, and some stuff we don't know what it is.
Then we went to another old school house (had to get permission first from the landowner) and found a 1952 Nickle, a horse shoe, part of an old wood stove, .35 caliber unused round, and a couple more things that we have no idea what they are.
NOT Bad for one day.
Sunday, after church and some errands, we went back and staked (okay stakes with yarn tied together layed across) the old church parking lot out (Hey that gravel is tough!). We found another Roose dime, 1939, four wheat pennies (can't read the dates on any of them), a Jefferson Nickel, and three clad pennies. Plus a watch face (might go to the other watch part we found). Oh, and some more trash. An old lipstick, two small car light bulb bases, three pencil erasers, a set of old keys (probably to the church), and some more items.
Needless to say he wanted to go out again Monday night. My knees said lets wait until Wednesday.

Upvote 0
Wow...You had a fantastic time....looks like some great sites....congrats on the silver....heck...congrats on it all!

Making great finds for the first time is a great experience--but good time spent with the step-son is Priceless.

Get him hooked enough, and he'll be your digging buddy for a long, long time to come.

You'll find that having him along with you will open more doors to you with a "Yes." That's what my father said about me when we started hunting together when I got my 1266-X at age 13. We still hunt together when I go back to Virginia to visit with him--and he's getting a DeLeon for his birthday this month.

Congratulations! If you post a good quality close-up of the mystery items, we'll help you figure out what they are.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Great post! Looks like you guys know how to put out the effort on finding the old stuff. Anyday with silver in the pouch is a good day. In your last paragraph you stated finding a 1939 rosie. If its a 1939 then it would be a merc.
Either way its still a silver. Well done you two. Sending a big ATA-BOY your way for the awesome firsts!! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back