Silver spoon found in Natchitothes Louisiana

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I spent a relaxing weekend at a bed & breakfast this past weekend.
Upon arrival while chatting with the owner I asked her if there were any old plantation properties I might get permission to hunt/ metal detect on. She informed me that she owned quite a bit of property in the immediate area. One area was a still standing plantation commissary (her description). The other was about 2 acres connected to her present property that once held a cotton gin. I had full permission to hunt and dig to my hearts content. Well this was a "romantic" get away so my wife wasn't thrilled that I brought a metal detector but granted me permission to hunt early Saturday morning as long as I didn't wake her until breakfast. Being I didn't have allot of time I spent the majority of an hour or so where the cotton gin once stood. I figured I would save the "good" site, the old commissary for sunday morning. At any rate I found allot of old pipe ect. But when I got a large coin signal I dug this spoon.
It reads " WmA Rogers {GERMAN SILVER}R " I included the new spoon to show that its about the size of a modern table spoon. The lady tells me the gin was torn down in probably the 1940s. Anyone with more information on the spoon? Can you possibly date it? Needless to say I will be returning to that bed and breakfast really soon!!!!

Attachments

• natchitoches la 034 (Small).jpg
    natchitoches la 034 (Small).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 493
  • natchitoches la 036 (Small).jpg
    natchitoches la 036 (Small).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 499
  • natchitoches la 034 (Small).jpg
    natchitoches la 034 (Small).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 459
  • natchitoches la 036 (Small).jpg
    natchitoches la 036 (Small).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 436

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Your spoon might be made by the Wm A Rogers who was no relation to the famous roger silversmiths . He would have used this trademark in 1910 and was smart enough to know that the rogers name sold .....So he was able to use their name on his German Silver Spoons if he used the same quality and care as they did....he used ferman silver and the letter R after his name ....His company was Wm A Robers LTD and later purchased by Oneida

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Nice find. The J.W. is amazing. What a valuable source of information. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
G.W ?

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Sorry, I must have had a blond day. G.H. for Gypsy Heart. :thumbsup:

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G. H. knows her stuff when it comes to research and finding facts about finds !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread