Silver uMax - First Silver!

CENLAcoin

Feb 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Warning: noobie rant about how cool this hobby is

So after Santa brought my 9 year old son a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver for christmas, he and I have proceeded to find almost $10 in clad. I am hooked.

I have been doing a lot of research and had narrowed down the choices of "Dad's Machine" to three: 1) Fisher F2 2) Garrett ACE 350 3) Tesoro SILVER uMax.

There were and are numerous reviews of all of these machines and so I won't try to rehash information coming from others more knowledgable than I. One piece of advice I did stick with is "go to a dealer, and swing some machines before you buy one".

I am very glad I did, because I thought I needed VID and Multi-tones, and I wanted pin-pointing and depth finding...none of which were features of the SILVER uMax.

What is a feature, however, is an incredible circuit board that out performed the ACE and the F2 in air and in a test field. Yes, the little guy won me and my "screens are cool" noobie attitude over. As I've been told, to find gold I'll be needing to dig everything over foil anyway, so why do I need a screen to tell me that?

So....I bought one. I love that they are made in America and have a lifetime warranty! That was yesterday.

Today, my son and I went out to test it at the park we've been getting the clad from. It was getting ready to rain, so I told him we'd find one coin and then go home. I put the disc a smidge lower than Max, and the sensitivity on 7 and we were walking...

5 minutes later, we got a solid signal and I dug MY FIRST SILVER RING! I have been over this spot many times with the BH...what a difference recovery time makes!

I hope for many more, but today my family celebrated a well-researched purchase of what detector was best suited to me, instead of an impulse purchase online...

Do your research and swing some machines, BEFORE you buy!

Love the Tesoro, couldn't be happier. The guy I bought from is old school, he laughed at my CENTECH pinpointer when I brought it to the test yard. He said the uMax is 100 times better than my pinpointer....just dig and sort. I am going to try it a few days...the thought of knife, pouch and detector is pretty light way to hunt...

Was excited, so I thought I'd share. Oh one last thing, my son and I spend almost every weekend out together for 10-12 hours now...that is worth more than any gold!

HH,
Will

Attachments

• firstsilver.jpg
    firstsilver.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 338

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CENLA,

You made the right choice, but you obviously know that. :icon_thumleft:

I too have owned the Compadre, the Silver uMax, and the Cibola.

I recently purchased the Ace 350. I hate to run down any machine, but having used the Tesoro, the Ace 350 just couldn't keep up.

You are off on an exciting new hobby. Just remember, you had a fantastic find there. Don't get frustrated if it takes awhile to find another. I metal detected nearly a year before I made a great "hit" like yours. If ever you get tired of digging junk, just remember that day and what your Tesoro is capable of finding.

Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions