silver umax how deep

thanks to all folks for your experience. Sandman I do do it for the fun I didn't get in to this thinking that I was goining to get rich. :o :laughing9: I do it to get out while my kids play soccer, or when camping or when we go to Mexico's riviera on vacation. It just to fill some time and have fun. I originally bought the umax used because i thought that maybe I would not like detecting but its got me addicted to it now i want a better machine that wont brake the bank. heck the garret pro pointer was almost as much as the detector was. anyway thanks to all for your Patience with me and my ignorance.

rey914v8 said:
thanks to all folks for your experience. Sandman I do do it for the fun I didn't get in to this thinking that I was goining to get rich. :o :laughing9: I do it to get out while my kids play soccer, or when camping or when we go to Mexico's riviera on vacation. It just to fill some time and have fun. I originally bought the umax used because i thought that maybe I would not like detecting but its got me addicted to it now i want a better machine that wont brake the bank. heck the garret pro pointer was almost as much as the detector was. anyway thanks to all for your Patience with me and my ignorance.

You're not ignorant, you're just learning. We all do that, even now.

I'll let you in a secret I learned the hard way. Don't think that by dumping the uMax and spending more money you are going to get a better machine. It may look prettier and have a screen and adjustable features, but for the most part, it will do no better than your uMax.

Sure, when you get into the $800 range and above you start getting more complicated and sophisticated, but I can't tell you how many guys I have watched dump those super machines after awhile and go back to the simplicity of beep and dig. They spent more time adjusting and tuning their detector and less time hunting. Plus, those units tend to weigh a lot and wear your arm out after and hour or two.

If you want a different detector, by all means get one. But don't think you'll necessarily get a "better" machine. You might get disappointed. :(

Honestly, the only reason I would change from the Silver uMax would be if I wanted something more sensitive to small gold jewelry. But understand if that's what you're after, you are going to dig a lot more junk. It is absolutely unavoidable. You could purchase a Vaquero or Tejon for high frequency sensitivity, or....

You could buy a Compadre with that 5.75" coil we were discussing hardwired to the unit. It is a fantastic gold jewelry machine. And it isn't expensive at all.

Anyway, just some things to consider. ;D

Smudge is way ahead of the game. Your "upgrading" is like buying a more expensive car with more options like XM radio, pwr and heated seats, GPS in the dash, but all you really wanted is to go from here to there without getting rained on. It is fun for me to dig up anything but I am old school and don't like the ones with screens and dohickies. Get that small coil and have fun. Learn new places and if you later decide you wanna play with more controls get another detector, but it won't really increase your fun. We are just trying to save you from making the same mistakes we've made many years ago. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back