Silver Umax Review Part IV

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I will start out by saying, WOW! I underestimated the depth of this machine and I continue to be amazed at it's discrimination and ability to separate targets from junk. I'm not sure if I'm just learning the machine, or what, but this time out it was truly amazing!

I went to a riverbank where the water level was very low, exposing lots of the river bottom. I spent about 2 hours there. Among the trash items to be expected - just about anything including bikes, car parts, tire rims, etc, cans, nails, pull tabs . . . What I'm trying to say, it is quite possibly the worst metal detecting conditions imaginable. Also, with wet sand to boot - I was unsure how the silver would react. I took along my DFX b/c I expected the ground balance to be out of whack on the Silver, which is preset.

Well, not only did the Silver remain stable, it attained depth on targets that I haven't seen in it yet. With sensitivity at between 7-10, and disc above iron, I dug pennies at 9-10" !!! I dug lead sinkers at 12" I suppose the wet soil/sand really had alot to do with it. I dug approximately 60 holes and nearly 75% were good targets! I did dig some large iron pieces that fooled this detector, but not many. Despite hunting in miserable conditions, this Silver performed very well, and I became more confident in it. Before it was all said and done, I had dug 10 wheat pennies, 40 pieces of fishing tackle, a smoking pipe, many clad, and some type of dog tag. This was one THE BEST ratio of good targets to junk dug in my years of metal detecting. I have no doubt it had everything to do with this discrimination, which is as accurate as can be. I left the site feeling like I didn't miss any targets. I was a happy hunter.

The next day, I hunted a torn up road in an old part of town. This location turned up many many clad coins and a mercury dime. Nothing was terribly deep, but that was the type of site this was. The one thing that bothered me at this site was how sometimes the silver gives a sound like a coin and it turns out to be large pipe or other iron about a foot below. I believe that ALL detectors have a problem with this. What I learned is that after you dig a hole, swing the coil again. If you can lift the detector up about 15" and still get the sound, it's a pipe. Skip it.

I also got a chance to hunt an old homesite for 45 minutes. I dug a couple of bullets and a button. What was good about the Silver here is the small coil which was easy to dart around trees and bushes.

THROUGH ALL THE HUNTS, I NEVER GOT TIRED! This thing is so light and balanced that you will be amazed. I switched from my DFX to the Silver for a few minutes and it was like how a baseball player gets ready to hit by swinging a lead weighted bat. You will be pleased with this machines balance and weight.

One thing about durability: I tripped and fell in the woods and my entire body weight (200lbs) leaned on the shaft of this thing. It did bow for a second but it did not bend. Plus, the weak looking coil bolt held strong. How cool is that?

One of the intangibles about this machine to me is this: It costs about $170 or less used. It gets remarkable performance and it will give $1000 detectors a run for the money. It is light and good looking. Thing is: No one takes it very seriously unless they use one! You are almost like an underdog, people think you are using a kids toy. Well, that makes you even more motivated to scope out the good stuff. Plus, the thing is fun. I gotta tell you it is fun to recover wonderful targets with a bargain machine. It must make a person feel guilty to go out with a $1200 detector and only find 12 cents. With the Silver, well, a few trips like this and you have paid for it!!

Updated Likes:
Powerful/Light/Durable
Looks/Sounds good
Great Discrimination/Target Separation
When you hunt with this thing, you feel like the "underdog"

Updated Dislikes:
Hard to clean, gets dirty easy.
The pole squeaks on mine, not sure if this is isolated or not.
Some falsing on large iron objects.
Every once in a while I miss the depth meter, but rarely

Here are some photos: Oh yeah, and GO REDWINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

Attachments

• stuff.jpg
    stuff.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 618
  • tag1.jpg
    tag1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 613
  • wheat1.jpg
    wheat1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 622
  • colgate3.jpg
    colgate3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 615
  • colgate4.jpg
    colgate4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 611
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 611
  • phone1.jpg
    phone1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 621
  • findsa1.jpg
    findsa1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 596
  • merc1.jpg
    merc1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 597
  • pepsi2.jpg
    pepsi2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 607
  • stuff.jpg
    stuff.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 609
  • tag1.jpg
    tag1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 632
  • wheat1.jpg
    wheat1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 608
  • colgate3.jpg
    colgate3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 600
  • colgate4.jpg
    colgate4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 615
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC00547.JPG
    DSC00547.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 595
  • phone1.jpg
    phone1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 599
  • rocky+silver.jpg
    rocky+silver.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 615
  • findsa1.jpg
    findsa1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 569
  • merc1.jpg
    merc1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 594
  • pepsi2.jpg
    pepsi2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 588

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Sounds like they need to hire you to sell those! ;) I am glad you like your detector and are finding lots of goodies! :D Keep diggin!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The Silver (like most of the Tesoro line) is an ignored machine.

Those who have done actual depth tests that included the Silver found it right up there with the big boys.

I personally think all Tesoros (except maybe the Compadre) basically get the same depth if equipped with the same coil and used in mildly mineralized soil.

In fact I don't think there's more than an inch or so depth difference in any of the top VLF detectors made today (same type coils and soils). I don't care if they're $200 or $1200. Some may just appear deeper due to an ability to cope a little better in certain soils.

I've heard the Silver fixed with the spider coil gets the same depth as the DeLeon and even the mighty Tejon. But for consistant excellent depth one needs the ground balance feature of the V and Tejon.

Excellent review!

Badger

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
I don't know if you're still out there SaginawIan but I loved your review. I just ordered a 12x10 uMax concenteric coil to put on the Silver uMax. I've heard it will beat a Tejon in depth...we'll see.

How's the Silver treating you these days?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I threw together on the Silver Series....

Can I add a little here? - well alright, a lot!
I have owned nearly every progenitor of the current line up, including Silvers. Here's what I had to say a while back about the Silver Sabre line of detectors. Nearly all of it will apply to the Silver under review and most other nonID Tesoro detectors...

My very first detector was a Silver Sabre II and it was a goodie. Still is. The only one I like better is the SS uMax. Or the Bandido, or the Eldorado.... okay, any uMax format!

Here are some tips that will help you with your uMax model, whatever it is. Keep in mind that they were written for the uMax series, but they apply to the current crop, too:

- Keep the SENS down. These units are deep enough for 80% of usage and will sound off cleanly over good targets. There is little mistaking when you have gotten over something good. Conversely, they are good at discerning trash, but will get squirrely enough if you drive them too hard on a trashy site. You dont need it as high as you think you do. You'll find 6-9 is adequate for most uses.

- Save the upper limit SENS Boost for cleaner areas.

- Dont bother with the pinpointing. All you need is to slow down a bit to pinpoint in the DISC mode, as it works well at pinpoint speeds. When they say "slow-motion VLF" at Tesoro, they mean it. This saves time and is another benefit of using a Tesoro.

- The DISC is razor edged, as are all Tesoros and with a little usage, you will learn where things ID at.

Practice this by placing a nickle, both a square and ring pull tab and a zinc cent on clean ground.
As you sweep over these targets, increase the DISC control with your thumb (Tesoro fans call this "thumbing," and it's why Tesoro puts the control where they do.)
As you do this, you will learn where your detector cuts out on each of these. When you have that down pat, mark the spot on the DISC dial for each of these targets with a little dot of bright nailpolish.
You have just created a reasonable TID detector! This is the way I learned before I had my first graphic TID unit. This ensured I dug more, instead of peering at some screen all the danged time.

- For general hunting, set your DISC around the pre-set below nickel. Test this on foil bits and wads. For relics go lower to "IRON or even "ALL Metal". Even at lower DISC settings, it is very good at discerning small iron bits, up to bottlecaps.

- However it will readily signal on large iron, and seems to love steel washers. But it gives a scraggy, chop-edge sound, not at all like good targets - which always sound smooth. With practice, you'll get it.

- Slow down to "process" signals as you pinpoint sweep over them in DISC. We're not talking a hover or crawl here, mind you. It's going to be about half to a third of normal hunt speed.
Trash will come through with choppy edged sounds as mentioned above and the DISC, when thumbed up as you do this, will let you know what the target ID range is. You should strive to establish a flowing sequence to this, as it will improve your hunt efficiency.

- You will find the the uMax Silvers to be subtle, with nuance to their single tone - but, you have to slow over targets and "process" them as told above to learn what it is telling you. After a while and some experience youll begin to predict targets well. All long-time Tesoro users understand this and do it instinctively, but it can be lost on a newcomer if no-one tells them.

- You have the ability to "SuperTune" your detector. Others call it HyperTuning and I first learned of this in an article by Bob Stricker, more than a few years ago. Here's how to do it:

Set the threshold at the usual low hum, per the instructions. Once you've done that and have established the normal "hum", mark that point also with a dot of nail polish. Now, crank it up into the higher ranges, all the way to max if you want, and then switch back into the DISC mode.

Once "SuperTuned" this way, if you get over a really deep target, the detector will overcome the DISC lower signal threshold and signal on that deeper target.

However, there is a trade off. Several actually:

1. This will kill the ability to pinpoint in AM or even use the feature. Switching back to all metal from silent search when hyper tuned is a real ear blaster!
2. It will hit harder than needed on shallow targets, making it harder to discern depth.
3. It will make your detector noisy and "chirpy," especially in a target rich environment.

But in cleaner areas with the potential for deep targets, such as in farmfield relic hunting or in the dry sand at the beach (this is an OPTIMUM place for it), it can be a boon. Also, if you aren't sure about an "iffy" target, which might be deep, you can go into this mode and check it out. Cool, huh?!

- Save your clad finds until you can afford the small "sniper" coil. Or just splurge and get one. Get a replacement lower rod for it, too. In trashy sites, like a park or school, this really helps to separate out targets.

And here is my final tip to you...

- Buy the best, long trowel you can afford and make it your goal to wear it out.

You're going to like these detectors. They are simple beep/dig progressive models, but that simplicity is to your advantage. They are often overlooked and so can be had for fair prices and if you can get your hands on either a Sidewinder, Silver Sabre, or Eldorado uMax...well, you have some of the best in the bunch!
You can find lots of stuff with them, they are sheer joy to use for hours on end and you have a very capable detector at not a lot of money. That's a bargain, these days.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
.... I think you talked me into a Tesoro...Yes...Yes..........

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Re: Something I threw together on the Silver Series....

dahut said:
Can I add a little here? - well alright, a lot!
I have owned nearly every progenitor of the current line up, including Silvers. Here's what I had to say a while back about the Silver Sabre line of detectors. Nearly all of it will apply to the Silver under review and most other nonID Tesoro detectors...

My very first detector was a Silver Sabre II and it was a goodie. Still is. The only one I like better is the SS uMax. Or the Bandido, or the Eldorado.... okay, any uMax format!

Here are some tips that will help you with your uMax model, whatever it is. Keep in mind that they were written for the uMax series, but they apply to the current crop, too:

- Keep the SENS down. These units are deep enough for 80% of usage and will sound off cleanly over good targets. There is little mistaking when you have gotten over something good. Conversely, they are good at discerning trash, but will get squirrely enough if you drive them too hard on a trashy site. You dont need it as high as you think you do. You'll find 6-9 is adequate for most uses.

- Save the upper limit SENS Boost for cleaner areas.

- Dont bother with the pinpointing. All you need is to slow down a bit to pinpoint in the DISC mode, as it works well at pinpoint speeds. When they say "slow-motion VLF" at Tesoro, they mean it. This saves time and is another benefit of using a Tesoro.

- The DISC is razor edged, as are all Tesoros and with a little usage, you will learn where things ID at.

Practice this by placing a nickle, both a square and ring pull tab and a zinc cent on clean ground.
As you sweep over these targets, increase the DISC control with your thumb (Tesoro fans call this "thumbing," and it's why Tesoro puts the control where they do.)
As you do this, you will learn where your detector cuts out on each of these. When you have that down pat, mark the spot on the DISC dial for each of these targets with a little dot of bright nailpolish.
You have just created a reasonable TID detector! This is the way I learned before I had my first graphic TID unit. This ensured I dug more, instead of peering at some screen all the danged time.

- For general hunting, set your DISC around the pre-set below nickel. Test this on foil bits and wads. For relics go lower to "IRON or even "ALL Metal". Even at lower DISC settings, it is very good at discerning small iron bits, up to bottlecaps.

- However it will readily signal on large iron, and seems to love steel washers. But it gives a scraggy, chop-edge sound, not at all like good targets - which always sound smooth. With practice, you'll get it.

- Slow down to "process" signals as you pinpoint sweep over them in DISC. We're not talking a hover or crawl here, mind you. It's going to be about half to a third of normal hunt speed.
Trash will come through with choppy edged sounds as mentioned above and the DISC, when thumbed up as you do this, will let you know what the target ID range is. You should strive to establish a flowing sequence to this, as it will improve your hunt efficiency.

- You will find the the uMax Silvers to be subtle, with nuance to their single tone - but, you have to slow over targets and "process" them as told above to learn what it is telling you. After a while and some experience youll begin to predict targets well. All long-time Tesoro users understand this and do it instinctively, but it can be lost on a newcomer if no-one tells them.

- You have the ability to "SuperTune" your detector. Others call it HyperTuning and I first learned of this in an article by Bob Stricker, more than a few years ago. Here's how to do it:

Set the threshold at the usual low hum, per the instructions. Once you've done that and have established the normal "hum", mark that point also with a dot of nail polish. Now, crank it up into the higher ranges, all the way to max if you want, and then switch back into the DISC mode.

Once "SuperTuned" this way, if you get over a really deep target, the detector will overcome the DISC lower signal threshold and signal on that deeper target.

1. This will kill the ability to pinpoint in AM or even use the feature. Switching back to all metal from silent search when hyper tuned is a real ear blaster!
2. It will hit harder than needed on shallow targets, making it harder to discern depth.
3. It will make your detector noisy and "chirpy," especially in a target rich environment.

But in cleaner areas with the potential for deep targets, such as in farmfield relic hunting or in the dry sand at the beach (this is an OPTIMUM place for it), it can be a boon. Also, if you aren't sure about an "iffy" target, which might be deep, you can go into this mode and check it out. Cool, huh?!

- Save your clad finds until you can afford the small "sniper" coil. Or just splurge and get one. Get a replacement lower rod for it, too. In trashy sites, like a park or school, this really helps to separate out targets.

And here is my final tip to you...

- Buy the best, long trowel you can afford and make it your goal to wear it out.

You're going to like these detectors. They are simple beep/dig progressive models, but that simplicity is to your advantage. They are often overlooked and so can be had for fair prices and if you can get your hands on either a Sidewinder, Silver Sabre, or Eldorado uMax...well, you have some of the best in the bunch!
You can find lots of stuff with them, they are sheer joy to use for hours on end and you have a very capable detector at not a lot of money. That's a bargain, these days.

dahut, you can comment anytime! Awesome post! I can tell you've been round the block more than once.

I'm not new to Tesoro but have used mostly the newer models being the Cortes, Deleon, Tejon, and yes even the little Compadre. They were all good to great.

I sold my Tejon recently just because I'm always buying and selling and buying again. I like trying detectors almost as much as hunting.

Selling the Tejon was a mistake and I knew this before I did it. It was one super great machine.

But one model I've always wondered about is the Silver uMax line. I've heard that the new Silver uMax (Sabre) fitted with a 9/8 uMax concentric web coil will match the depth of the Tejon. Have you ever tried this? One guy I met claims it will go deeper than the Tejon but James of Tesoro says no.

I just ordered a "like new" 12x10 concentric and plan to try it on one of the Silvers. Which model would you recommend? I don't care if it's old or new.

Me

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
SaginawIan,

Great review on the Silver. I keep telling my customers that it is awesome for the money. You proved it.
Me? - - - - - I am spending all my time with the T.S. I love water hunting! Had a great morning w/my son at the lake today. We both scored! Joe

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
JOE(USA) said:
Me? - - - - - I am spending all my time with the T.S. I love water hunting! Had a great morning w/my son at the lake today. We both scored! Joe

I guess this is to Me? haha!

Wish I had time to do the water hunting thing Joe. So you both scored eh? What did ya get? Post it on Today's Finds?
This is not my thread so I'd best shutup..eh?

Me

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Something I threw together on the Silver Series....

dahut said:
You have the ability to "SuperTune" your detector. Others call it HyperTuning and I first learned of this in an article by Bob Stricker, more than a few years ago. Here's how to do it:

After 15 years of detectin, I decided it was time to buy a back-up machine for my Fisher 1266-X. I liked the non-display part of that machine because it makes my ears and brain work harder, and I feel it is one heck of a relic machine. So I got the Silver uMax used this summer for $159. I have been quite pleased with it so far. I've taken it out to some parks (my classic procedure for digging lots of coins and tabs to learn a new machine), and dug quite a bit of clad and some decent coins with it...but I've been a little hesitant to take it out on any relic hunts yet. Maybe I'm a little scared I'd get skunked by my huntin buddy without my trusty Fisher ::) ::) Anyhow, naturally this machine didn't come with an instruction manual, so I'd love to know how to "super-tune" it for a relic hunt. Does this modification reset to normal when the machine is turned off and back on again? I'm not quite sure what you mean by setting the threshold tone. Are you referring to the sensitivity knob? Does Tesoro have a place on their website to download or view the manual for this machine?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Buckleboy

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not quite sure what you mean by setting the threshold tone. Are you referring to the sensitivity knob?
Your confusion is understandable, since your 1266-X has no THRESH adjust. Neither does the Silver uMax. In the Silver series, ONLY the SSuMax or the SSII has it. Why they dropped it, Ill never know. Here's what we're talking about.
When you switch to all metal on your 1266-X by pulling the trigger, that hum you hear is the threshold. The Fisher has no control for the amplitude of the threshold, neither does the Silver uMax. The normal setting for it is about like your Fisher - a barely audible hum. BUT, the more you turn up the threshold and wind it out, the more that weaker signals overcome the low audio response limit and signal through. That's hypertuning.

Anyhow, naturally this machine didn't come with an instruction manual, so I'd love to know how to "super-tune" it for a relic hunt.
Turn the THRESHOLD UP, Turn the SENS UP. Simple as that. How far?
No pat answer, so I recommend this for relics in deep earth:

Turn to ALL METAL....
Set the THRESHOLD at 3 oclock on the dial. It's gonna be loud, so watch out! ...
Turn back to DISC.
Set the SENS up to whatever the conditions will allow. Start at about 9.
Set the DISC at "IRON."

As you hunt with this setup, you will hear more signal activity than before and you have to learn what is good and what isn't. There will likely be some popping and chirping, similar to your 1266-X, but different, more mellow. :)
Your goal is to work to achieve a stable detector, but wound up as tight as you an get it. To get there, adjust the SENS up/down in increments, and/or the THRESH up/down until you get stable running, but with everything wound out as far as allowable.

Does this modification reset to normal when the machine is turned off and back on again?
NO. The SS's are analog, meaning they have knobs, just like your 1266-X (a great machine, by the way).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by setting the threshold tone. Are you referring to the sensitivity knob?
When you switch to all metal on your 1266-X by pulling the trigger, that hum you hear is the threshold. The Fisher has no control for the amplitude of the threshold - the SS's do. The normal setting for it is about like your Fisher - a barely audible hum. BUT, the more you turn up the threshold and wind it out, the more that weaker signals overcome the low audio response limit and signal through. That's hypertuning.

Does Tesoro have a place on their website to download or view the manual for this machine?
They have a place and Im sure the SS's are there. But they say nothing about hypertuning - it's a secret, so now youre in the club!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut said:
Turn to ALL METAL....
Set the THRESHOLD at 3 oclock on the dial. It's gonna be loud, so watch out! ...
Turn back to DISC.
Set the SENS up to whatever the conditions will allow. Start at about 9.
Set the DISC at "IRON."

Thank you so much for the info on this!!! I just have one more question... When you say "Set the THRESHOLD at 3 o'clock on the dial," do you mean the disc dial or the sensitivity dial? Also what "o'clock" position on the dial is a good one for a moderately trashy yard or other coin hunting area when I want to change it back for a non-relic hunt?

Thank you again for your responses!

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread