Silver ware question

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys, I buy boxes of silverware when I can get them cheap. I got a box this time, and there is one spoon that is unmarked, but looks like silver. It is probably plate, but anyway to make sure that it isn't sterling without a mark? Here is a picture if that helps. Thanks!

0724141724.jpg

in the picture it looks like there is some blue corrosion in the bowl of the spoon, if that's so my guess is plated

That green is caused from the copper base metal. Since it's only a single piece in a plain jane pattern, it won't hurt to file a small notch into it and look at it with a magnifying glass. You should be able to see that it's plated.

I think your spoon is made by Christofle. There may be two stamps on the inside of the bowl, to the left and right just above where the handle meets the bowl. If so it is silver plate.

This brand also brings very good money for resale if it's in good condition. Keep a lookout.

Okay guys, I really appreciate it! War-digs-it, I found those stamps on the inside of the bowl and was about to ask about them.

Man, those do go great for resale! I only gave $5 for the whole box of silverware. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

I think your spoon is made by Christofle. There may be two stamps on the inside of the bowl, to the left and right just above where the handle meets the bowl. If so it is silver plate.

This brand also brings very good money for resale if it's in good condition. Keep a lookout.
Good eye! I'm glad you replied before he took a file to it like I told him to do! :notworthy:

:laughing7: Yeah, me too. Thanks again for all of your help guys! What is a piece of sterling flatware worth out of curiosity, what is the silver value in it ballpark?

Okay, have you guys ever weighed one? Anybody got a ballpark weight on it?

Okay, have you guys ever weighed one? Anybody got a ballpark weight on it?

Depends on when it was made.The older it is the lighter its going to be.An average teaspoon from the 18th century,very thin and flimsy.I've had teaspoons within 10-50 years of the present date weigh more than or slightly under an ounce.The teaspoon that I have from 1798 weighs just about 1/2 an ounce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back