Tector
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Apr 4, 2011
- Messages
- 90
- Reaction score
- 0
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Davenport, ia
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro silver umax
lol Thats one test I havent tried. I guess if your breath stinks, the test is flawed.Tector said:Yea I guess, just spit on it till it stinks. We'll do anything to find silverthanks again

LOL Breezie. I know you are not fooling with him because I have heard you say this before. I never paid much attention to it other than a little chuckle and never took it seriously but what the heck, I decided to try it. As I expected, I get no odor thats any different than the foil and silver dime I am using and my saliva appears to have no odor.Breezie said:Wrap your item in a small piece of aluminum foil, then spit on it; wrap/fold up the foil, then within 10 seconds unfold it. As you are unfolding it, take a big sniff. If it has a bad odor like rotten eggs, your piece is sterling silver. If you're not sure of the smell, test a piece of jewelry or coin that you know is silver. It's a gross test, but it works. Breezie
It only works on dug coins, that have the black patinabigcypresshunter said:LOL Breezie. I know you are not fooling with him because I have heard you say this before. I never paid much attention to it other than a little chuckle and never took it seriously but what the heck, I decided to try it. As I expected, I get no odor thats any different than the foil and silver dime I am using and my saliva appears to have no odor.Breezie said:Wrap your item in a small piece of aluminum foil, then spit on it; wrap/fold up the foil, then within 10 seconds unfold it. As you are unfolding it, take a big sniff. If it has a bad odor like rotten eggs, your piece is sterling silver. If you're not sure of the smell, test a piece of jewelry or coin that you know is silver. It's a gross test, but it works. Breezie
Do you really test silver this way? Does anyone else really test silver this way lol. Where did you first hear of this? It would seem to me there are more reliable methods. Looking forward to your response.
Ah thanks SS. I think you are correct. Im trying to research this online and not having much luck. Its repeated all over the metal detecting communuity but I havent found anything substantial yet. Im guessing that spit reacts to Silver Sulfide (black patina) So in this case the spit/foil test will not work.Silver Searcher said:It only works on dug coins, that have the black patina
SS
Heres the link with pics. http://www.itsfrugalbeinggreen.com/cleaning-silver-baking-soda-aluminum-foil/
Actually, the test is for Sterling Silver jewelry because of the copper content. I don't think it will work with coin silver. So, BCH, try it with sterling. I learned the technique from an old Native American Indian, but 'no' I don't use the test because I can generally look and feel a piece of jewelry and tell if it is sterling or not. Like I said it only works on the coins with the black patina, it works perfect on hammered coins, but I will only use it on common types(no value) as it also scratches, coins will also turn black with common household bleach, I also use this method to high lite coins. Like BigC says there are better ways of testing, and also cleaning Silver.Breezie said:LOL is everyone a comedian?![]()
Actually, the test is for Sterling Silver jewelry because of the copper content. I don't think it will work with coin silver. So, BCH, try it with sterling. I learned the technique from an old Native American Indian, but 'no' I don't use the test because I can generally look and feel a piece of jewelry and tell if it is sterling or not.
Breezie
PS: The only raccoon I could find was on my birdfeeder, and I'm not sure if she's a she or he's a he? (BTW, this is an actual pic of my backyard, not one from Google.)
bigcypresshunter said:I tried it on black silver but I guess I need to try it again. Ill get a good wad of spit this time.
Breezie
I mean I completely drenched it. There was so much it was dripping over the foil. (Pictures soon to be posted due to repeated requests). I wrapped it up in aluminum foil, squeezed it, and chanted "silver this? silver that! little bandit rat tat tat!" for effect, turned around 3 times while counting to 10.
Well I think y'all know what happened.
It smells a little like dirty silver covered in spit.
I tried it with a copper penny and I think I got a slight odor....Yes it smells like dirty copper covered in spit! ....but I knew the penny was copper before I spat on it. 
I even checked Snopes again. Why is it, I can find nothing at all online outside of the treasure hunting forums? 