Silverish looking flake

Matt F.

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2012
SW Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several of these flakes on an exposed hillside, they break apart really easy and little bright silver flakes get all over my hands, not sure what it is. Thanks for any help, Matt.

Rock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it be Mica ?

Your Pic Cropped
Rock.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Matt F.

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2012
SW Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff thanks for resizing the pic, I am not real computer savy. I think you may be right on the mica, I went to wikipedia and it sounds like what I found. It is definetly layered and it will crumble real easy...I looked at Galena but it didn't say how hard it is, it looked like it wouldn't crumble between my fingers... What I found is not magnetic but I heated it up with a torch and then broke some of the silver flakes off and they were attracted to a magnet, I am not sure if that means anything?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally Mica flakes are more clear than silver (at least they are around here), so it I'm thinking it might be burned/melted aluminum cans. Breezie

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum won't stick to a Magnet.
I Believe under certain Circumstance Mica will.

Galina Won't

Upvote 0

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
chromium

i think it could be chromium. i have found some here in az, in a nugget patch.
try googling it for a picture.
also what state are you in?
is it from a mining area?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Matt F.

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2012
SW Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think it could be chromium. i have found some here in az, in a nugget patch.
try googling it for a picture.
also what state are you in?
is it from a mining area?

I live in South West Michigan. We recently bought a piece of property that hasn't had anything done on it for 150 years, it was completly covered with trees, we cleared a couple of acres on a ridge above a bog and built a house. The hillside in back has eroded over the last year and left lots of rocks exposed and that is where I found it. Lots of granite, quartz and sandstone I probably could of opened a quary, lots of sand and gravel. Also, a white powdery rock that I am not quite sure what it is, if you rub it in your hands it leaves a baby powder like substance, I will have to look that one up too.

Maybe Chormite but I couldn't really find a good pic that looked like what I have. I went out and grabbed a couple more pieces and if you crush it, it looks like you have been playing with glitter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread