Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, I've been planning a trip to the treasure coast. Does the Simplex perform reasonably well near salt water? Due to the legalities I probably won't be getting too much closer to the water than the high tide line but I've never done saltwater detecting before so I don't really know what to expect.

I know it is a VLF detector but it does have a setting meant for beaches, any thoughts on this program or advice?

Over the last couple of days I've been doing some googling and there's some people that say it stinks in saltwater but some who are finding gold and silver so I'm not sure what to think. I might end up making a small saltwater test garden in one of the totes I have in the basement...

Last edited:

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used mine at the beach. I have the Tarsacci to handle that, but with that said, I've heard other owners say if you manually ground balance to zero, you can hunt the wet sand. Dry sand, no problem...you can hunt there all day long. Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used mine at the beach. I have the Tarsacci to handle that, but with that said, I've heard other owners say if you manually ground balance to zero, you can hunt the wet sand. Dry sand, no problem...you can hunt there all day long. Good luck and happy hunting!
Thanks Calreg! I assure you, I will be hunting all day long. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Germanrazor

Jan 7, 2021
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+,
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it has beach mode so I assume it is a general programmed setting to be a middle of the road setting. As always, you can tweak a bit. I had a Fors CoRe I hunted in the surf years ago and it did well. Ground balance as the salinity is very mineralized and gives a lot of chattery as I say. Maybe place some test items down to get an idea of what to listen for. Good luck.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched videos of people trying it in the wet surf and saying that it is about 70% which is better than most VLFs will do. If it was the only detector I had I would personally try it. What do you have to lose?

If you try it, report back and let us know your thoughts. Living in Ohio I don't have any saltwater near me to try it out on. But when I visit the ocean again I intend to take my Simplex just to see how it does.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If hunting saltwater beaches is going to be your favored hunting style get a machine built for the environment, either a pulse detector or multiple frequency detector. Single frequency detector with salt filters will never be in the same league, they will work done what, but you will not have the advantage a pulse or multifreq detector in salt beaches..

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If hunting saltwater beaches is going to be your favored hunting style get a machine built for the environment, either a pulse detector or multiple frequency detector. Single frequency detector with salt filters will never be in the same league, they will work done what, but you will not have the advantage a pulse or multifreq detector in salt beaches..
Thank you Treasure Hunter, I probably will end up upgrading to a Nox or some PI eventually but its a bit out of my price range right now. Ill only be doing a week of detecting so I think Ill just give it a go. If I run into issues I can always just head over to a park or do something else.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've watched videos of people trying it in the wet surf and saying that it is about 70% which is better than most VLFs will do. If it was the only detector I had I would personally try it. What do you have to lose?

If you try it, report back and let us know your thoughts. Living in Ohio I don't have any saltwater near me to try it out on. But when I visit the ocean again I intend to take my Simplex just to see how it does.
p
Yup, Ill be posting all of the cobs and gold rings when I find em... :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Treasure Hunter, I probably will end up upgrading to a Nox or some PI eventually but its a bit out of my price range right now. Ill only be doing a week of detecting so I think Ill just give it a go. If I run into issues I can always just head over to a park or do something else.

If only needing it for a short vacation then by all means use what you have, no need to buy one for a short vacation you will be good with simplex.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread