Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Canada my experience on our clad has been this:

In Park 2 with half sensitivity skimming for shallow clad. Lightly to non rusted clad quarters on display 95-96, Loonies (one dollar coin) up to 95-96, Twoonies (two dollar coin) commonly between 82-86. All hit hard with a high tone. Similarly, the small clad dimes and nickles also give me a high tone, and will also erratically flash higher display numbers which I basically ignored. (The main difference between the large and small clad is the volume or sound level of the signal, a smaller sound for smaller clad, and the briefness of signal in a sweep). Small clad is quieter and gives a shorter response as its gone over. Clad dimes often give that 04 reading as they flutter around on the display, more or less like my ATP. But really, I couldn't care less about clad nickles or dimes, not worth bending over for, but that's just me. Now that I have a feel for clad, and the ground actually seemed thawed out, I am going to start trying deeper signals.

I have begun to run into more bottle caps in my 5-6th swing as opposed to my first digs. So far the Simp is nothing special when it comes to avoiding bottle caps. I have hit many that give a choppy erratic higher number/high tone signal. The only difference that I can see yet is the much choppier signal. I don't have much experience with them on it yet to form any conclusions. But yes, it hits caps almost like the larger clad coins. But I will try to learn any difference or nuances with old caps.

As I am starting to transition into trying deeper signals I put it in Park 1, full sensitivity, and a ground balance. I hit a super hard spanked small spot for half an hour in an old park, where I weaseled two fish out of last year with the ATP. I only dug a few bottle caps when I popped out the 40-55ish display number signals that gave a higher tone (wanted to see what it was). To date I have exactly zero experience getting the machine with these settings over an old deep copper or silver........ I still feel like I have a lot to learn about this machine and that I'm just taking my first baby steps with it. It's a new machine to me and I doubt that I will feel tight with it until mid to late summer. Seems to be how it works for me anyway......... Since these experiences I got out to a park and a field briefly, using Field mode, one bar below max sens, with ground balance. I pulled out many high toning deeper rusted nails that flutter jumped across the screen and I got one old copper, and a small brass horse tack buckle. All high toning. I'm going to give the machine a chance as it has promise, as some mentioned, particularly considering the price. But to date it is a bit frustrating that it high tones so much on rusted iron. My ATP wasn't this bad. Another factor that I have to appreciate is that it doubles as a water machine. So I find that 1. I don't know it well yet, and 2. That it packs a lot into a low price tag. So I will give it a season. Any new machine that I have bought before has taken me until at least mid to late summer to get a tight feel for. It was even longer for me when I jumped from an ACE 250 to a Tesoro Tejon. Man that was a rough transition !

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On bottle caps,much like the AT Pro,if you wiggle the coil and go backwards,when the front of the coil clears the bottle cap,it will have a crackle in the signal. A coin will break off clean,give it a try!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread