singer ranch

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sorry....I dont even know where 'spi' is ! I know where Singer Island is....Is spi South Padre Island?

Ok because if thats what you are referring to , then I know this much......
One of the more notable people who lived on the island in its early days was John Singer, brother to the famous sewing machine manufacturer. He was captain of a vessel named the Alice Sadell, which wrecked on the island in 1847. Instead of hurrying to leave the island however, Mr. Singer bought one of the seven original divisions set up by Padre Balli for his heirs and set up a ranch across from Port Isabel and established a family consisting of a wife and six children. He made his living by ranching, wrecking, and selling vegetables he had grown. John Singer might have stayed on the island for the rest of his life but for the Civil War. Because his ranch was located near the strategic Brazos Santiago pass and because he was known to have northern sympathies and ties, he was forced off the island in 1861.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
oops......I almost forgot .....
He moved to Flour Bluff on the mainland, just across the Laguna Madre at the the island's northern tip. There his wife passed away in 1866. Then he sold his Padre Island holdings to Jay Cooke and moved to New Orleans. Rumors have persisted throughout the years that Singer buried as much as $80,000 before leaving the island, but no one has ever found his legendary treasure.

OP
OP
cobrasvo90

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gypsyheart. i should have been a little more clear on my question. but u did guess right. Spi does stand for South Padre Island. have u been out to this location? if so any markings or clues of where its at?

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado
Gypsy that was great.

As far as markers the only thing I know of is after a storm a row of fence post popped up out of the sand give an indication of the ranch.
The story I was told was there was a hurricane that hit & they evacuated the Island. He left behind a large booty in pots that he was never able to recover because the storm erased the ranch.
We have located part of a ship in a dune on private land & are in the process of negotiating a deal for the recovery.
If you want to hunt there you have to like to eat sand man because if blows like the world is ending. Be careful on the public beaches they can nail ya.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
cobrasvo90

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks colorado mike

I have been out fishing to the mansfielf cut several times and i do know how bad the sand gets there. Feels like someone is sandblasting the back of your neck and legs. I do know there are several islands on the bay side. unfortunately, havent been out to any of them.

cobrasvo90

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread