Sioux Quartzite #3 - Grinding Platform or maybe an Anvil

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Another of my wife's finds. When we got married, almost twenty years ago, she walked the farm daily when I went off to work. One day I suggested she pick up some of those cool pink rocks all over the place...she brought them home. I had no idea how many there were. Most were tools. Not fancy or pretty tools, just everyday living' a tough life in prehistory Missouri tools. Sioux quartzite is generally "brighter in color much and easier to spot than our local dirty brown fossil filled chert, thus, we use it as an indicator of activity when walking areas of interest. It has worked out pretty good for us.

Have an awesome evening.

vfm

Attachments

• 71124304104__31F53881-CF7F-46DD-AC6C-6F60FD92E883.jpeg
    71124304104__31F53881-CF7F-46DD-AC6C-6F60FD92E883.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 71124310299__6CF75F9E-CCAF-464D-9632-391262AAAF58.jpeg
    71124310299__6CF75F9E-CCAF-464D-9632-391262AAAF58.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
Upvote 3
I see.
2 rocks.
And a Bic lighter.
Believe in your eye and get an in hand evaluation, if I believed what I was told on these forums would have tossed a hole crate of artifacrs. Some of the problem is people are making judgements based on what they have seen/found and artifacts vary widely due to timeframe/material/etc.

Sorry, both natural stone, blow pictures up and look at the surfaces, no sign of grinding or pounding.

Sorry, both natural stone, blow pictures up and look at the surfaces, no sign of grinding or pounding.
I wouldn’t doubt you’re right on this one or most, just not all. No one could possibly always be right, too many variables. I just didn’t want this member to stop thinking for himself or stop trusting his own eyes. He is poLite about the natural rock nonsense that goes on in these forums, but I can tell he’s not quite buying it. Again, I wouldn’t argue this particular stone either way, I can’t tell in the pics or even in hand would likely be a guess, but as he knows where and how he found it, the best guess would be his.

It does not help a new hunter to learn how to find and recognize a true artifact by encourging collecting geofacts, or simple rocks formed by nature, doing so will guarantee a low chance of finding real artifacts, you have to train your eyes or mind on what to look for.

I also hunted the fields, creeks, streams and rivers in Missouri for over 20 years, same area as vonfatman.

I think every reply has been respectful too.

Gentleman,
I honestly appreciate getting to read and learn here. I also appreciate that you put up with me and allow me to post photos of lithics found where we live. On our farm. It helps me.

Whether or not one person or all the many experts here agree with my uninformed guess as to "what it is" Never a foul here. Am I sometimes confused? Oh yes, but it gets me learning.

I am bound to make mistakes as most of you have much more time in field.
Perhaps my mistakes can help another save a step or two. I sure hope so.
I am thrilled to post up some pics of items from our Clay County, Missouri.

As I was looking for information and learning on-line, it was darn difficult to get anything remotely local or even regional.

When I lived in Cass County, MO, I hunted many fields and farms. Believe me, I have plenty of "brokes" and a few decent points. I have hunted Cole Camp, MO and south of Houston, MO. These places are where my "arrowheads" come from. Here on this place....just tools and a very few points. I have no understanding of this...that is part of the "mission" so to speak. Yes, I would love to find more points. I will.

Thanks

Bob
vfm

Last edited:
Gentleman,
I honestly appreciate getting to read and learn here. I also appreciate that you put up with me and allow me to post photos of lithics found where we live. On our farm. It helps me.

Whether or not one person or all the many experts here agree with my uninformed guess as to "what it is" Never a foul here. Am I sometimes confused? Oh yes, but it gets me learning.

I am bound to make mistakes as most of you have much more time in field.
Perhaps my mistakes can help another save a step or two. I sure hope so.
I am thrilled to post up some pics items from Clay County, Missouri.

As I was looking for information and learning on-line, it was darn difficult to get anything remotely local or even regional.

When I lived in Cass County, MO, I hunted many fields and farms. Believe me, I have plenty of "brokes" and a few decent points. I have hunted Cole Camp, MO and south of Houston, MO. These places are where my "arrowheads" come from. Here on this place....just tools and a very few points. I have no understanding of this...that is part of the "mission" so to speak. Yes, I would love to find more points. I will.

Thanks

Bob
vfm
Bob, we are not "putting up with you", you are a valued member here both at TNet and the artifact forum, you are trying and willing to learn, and with an open mind, you are very welcome here sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back