Site Artifacts..........

K

Keokukjeff

I thought I would show some of the Quarry site Tools and artifacts
This Quarry site produces many tools in the form of knapped Quarry chert,and Cobble chert brought nearby...............and knapped at the Site....
This 1st artifact is a Flake Knife ...........I find more Flake Scrapers then Flake Knives.......
000_6242.jpg

000_6239.jpg

000_6237.jpg

000_6234.jpg

Graver tip Flake Knife.............
I have a Dalton of the same chert,
000_6145.jpg

000_6143.jpg

000_6146.jpg

A very nice hard-percussion Flake Scraper.....................
000_6149.jpg

000_6148.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Keokukjeff

A Tip of point
reworked into a hafted artifact,,,,,,,,used as Scraper
000_6157.jpg

000_6156.jpg

000_6159.jpg

000_6155.jpg

000_6154.jpg

A classic Dalton Flake tool...
Flake Blade with Graver tip-
1st picture blade use top right
bottom left of artifact Blade use lower bottom left
A classic Dalton type use Flake!
000_6165.jpg

000_6162.jpg

OP
OP
K

Keokukjeff

A Calf Creek ....Flake Scraper
Beaked Flake Scraper............thats Calf Creek....... :notworthy:
000_6176.jpg

000_6174.jpg

000_6172.jpg

000_6171.jpg

000_6170.jpg

Flake Tool
Scraper with Graver tip..........
000_6186.jpg

000_6185.jpg

000_6184.jpg

000_6182.jpg

000_6180.jpg

000_6179.jpg

000_6178.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff
I am just newbie on the study of ancient tools. But something I think and "think" being a big word is that many of the paleo type tools or very early stuff carried over at some time and into the Dalton era. I am thinking that over night they did not give way to a complete new set of tools.
unifaced/bifaced. Some were so functional to even extend into the dallas and Mississippian period. Here are some I "think" made that transition.
What are your thoughts as you seem to enjoy and study the Dalton phase?
Thanks enjoy your studies and opinions.
HH
TnMountains

Attachments

• 000_0071.JPG
    000_0071.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 270
OP
OP
K

Keokukjeff

Well Dalton Preforms are technically Fluted<Olive Branch> Site proves that.......
I have a site that proves Dalton preforms are fluted..........But points show *thinning strikes* because of use resharpening.........................
So I think Daltons are from Clovis points..........
Here is what is different between your land
and here.............
Paleo tools from the West .................and most Paleo tools from the East come from Flake Tools
I study Paleo tools from the West.they being more in size comparison to mine
Then those HUGE Paleo Tools from your area...........
I think there awsome.............yours and those 37 showed................
However those Tools are very much a Eastern Paleo Tool complex,I think its awsome but in no way related to Dalton.............Those are way Early then Dalton over there
Eastern U.S. had a very heavy Paleo scene .............but its complicated ,the Eastern U.S. had the earliest Side-Notch Complex...............Hardaway-Hardway Dalton,Hardway Side-Notch.......a very Early time period for a Side-Notch point............Dalton age

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you are saying Jeff. I can not find them in context. I find them in the same spot but they come from a collapsed midden. So many times time frames will be mixed.Though in shelters over the cumberland it starts out paleo **pause** Dalton beaver lake kirk etc.......
I guess I just need to work on shelters some and see if and how they hook up. I still think they could in this area.
A gentleman on here name is treefrog he was posting very early daltons beaver lakes and some paleo from one of his shelters. I think they are worth looking at if you have not seen them.
Ok thanks and happy huntin :icon_sunny:
TnMountains

OP
OP
K

Keokukjeff

Wow I didnt know if my last post..............made it on,electric went out last night......were in are 2nd Ice Storm of Winter here in N.W.A.....
The Flake Blade,and other Flake Tools Daltons used in a technical way that can be seperated from Later Culture Tool use......................
I use the Brand Dalton site research,to compare actual Dalton use...............and form,and at the Brand site there was 3 different type Flake Blade......................and I can assure those functions-way of use are very different then Later Culture.................
Its real easy for some where to sit some where and think ALL Cultures used the SAME Flake Tools in the same way.............thats not right-it did not happen that way
A person has to do some research to go in depth on it..........................
For instance look at the Calf Creek Scraper..................
Dalton end-scrapers dont look nothing like that..........................and Late Archaic /Woodland Scrapers are never beaked........................and never have the flaking of a Calf Creek artifact.....ect,ect, I could go on talking difference's but................................
The Dalton Culture have set standered Flake Tools that can compare to other Dalton site's...and you dont find the same use-wear on Later Culture Flake Tools......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread