Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skeleton or pass keys were used to open warded locks, and have been used for centuries, and basically died out around the turn of the century up to the 20s/30s. Yours looks to be brass. I like finding skeleton keys! Cool find, Breezie

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sorry Pal...as owner of a large collection of keys ,specifically id'ing an unmarked key is next to impossible.
I have found some in pretty weird places also...considering that people carried them with them,they were easy to lose like coins,buttons,etc.
I once found one nailed to the bottom of a tree in the middle of the woods...

Attachments

• Keys 1.JPG
    Keys 1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 20,581
  • Keys 1.JPG
    Keys 1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 19,758
Upvote 0

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
kiddrock33 said:
i can use help identifying this keys date of manufacture and what type of lock it turned, this key was found where a key does not belong.

Great replies. This is a post bitted warded key most likely used in a mortise or a surface mounted rim warded lock on a door. I say most likely, but the lock could have been used in many applications for the time. This key could be made of brass, but it could be made of malleable iron as most of the older ones were made. See if you can find any mould marks along the length of key as if it was moulded. This is how a brass or malleable iron key would be made. A small scratch could be used to expose new surface metal to determine the metal type. On rare occasions, I have been called to repair broken springs or asked to provide replacement locks and keys to some of these old locks on old homes. I have a set of warded Skeleton type keys in like new condition and can still get the mortise and rim mounted warded locks, how long I can continue to get these is anyones guess. Most of the skeleton keys I have are made of steel today. As already stated by the others, these keys are most difficult to identify and date as to what the exact lock application they were used in. The type and design is very old and did not change much through out several centuries, but like I said, they are still being used some what today. It could take a great deal of time and imagination to design the wards in the lock to provide any kind of real security in these locks. This is what set the old time locksmiths apart from other craftsmen. Locks have been around since the time of the Egyptians. They made them out of wood to lock the doors of the tombs. Keep in mind that it was not the locks that kept people out but the curse that was attached to it. Thanks for reading. HAGD.

Dicks lock Service

Upvote 0

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dick99344 said:
kiddrock33 said:
i can use help identifying this keys date of manufacture and what type of lock it turned, this key was found where a key does not belong.

Great replies. This is a post bitted warded key most likely used in a mortise or a surface mounted rim warded lock on a door. I say most likely, but the lock could have been used in many applications for the time. This key could be made of brass, but it could be made of malleable iron as most of the older ones were made. See if you can find any mould marks along the length of key as if it was moulded. This is how a brass or malleable iron key would be made. A small scratch could be used to expose new surface metal to determine the metal type. On rare occasions, I have been called to repair broken springs or asked to provide replacement locks and keys to some of these old locks on old homes. I have a set of warded Skeleton type keys in like new condition and can still get the mortise and rim mounted warded locks, how long I can continue to get these is anyones guess. Most of the skeleton keys I have are made of steel today. As already stated by the others, these keys are most difficult to identify and date as to what the exact lock application they were used in. The type and design is very old and did not change much through out several centuries, but like I said, they are still being used some what today. It could take a great deal of time and imagination to design the wards in the lock to provide any kind of real security in these locks. This is what set the old time locksmiths apart from other craftsmen. Locks have been around since the time of the Egyptians. They made them out of wood to the lock the doors of the tombs. Keep in mind that it was not the locks that kept people out but the curse that was attached to it. Thanks for reading. HAGD.

Dicks lock Service

Great reply and info Dick. :thumbsup: Its amazing at the variety of expertise that we have here at Tnet.

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a similar style from an 1890's catalogue

Attachments

• key (2).jpg
    key (2).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,493
Upvote 0

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
mojjax said:
Here is a similar style from an 1890's catalogue

The lock pictured is a 3 lever mortise lock. You can see the levers just under the 5349 number shown. There is a ward cut on either side of the bit blade and three lever cuts on the end of the bit blade on the key. This is a very nice example of what was available back then and a fine example of the technology being used. This lock used a spring latch when the deadbolt was not thrown.. Thanks for the picture.

Dicks Lock Service

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice to have a locksmith in the group. :icon_thumright:

If you have any questions Kiddrock, now is the time to ask while Dick is online.

Green check please.

Upvote 0

baddley

Jan 28, 2019
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one today and was wondering if anyone knew the possible age on it?

Thanks
Scott

Attachments

• Resized_20201010_193319.jpeg
    Resized_20201010_193319.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Resized_20201010_193305.jpeg
    Resized_20201010_193305.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread