What's new

Skunk, skunk, skunk, Bingo! Counter Stamped LC

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I went to three locations and got drenched starting at 6am. Found nada besides some wheats and junque. I almost went home but tried a fourth spot. I've had this place marked for two years but never went...but within 5 minutes I found the foundation... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468082979.303657.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468082989.669046.webp

Found a few goodies there including this buckle. I don't believe it's a neck stock buckle but instead a suspended buckle~mid 19th C. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468083001.031296.webp

Also snagged an LC.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468082907.577851.webp

I later found out it had a "2" counterstamped....

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468082938.049049.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468083024.952564.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468083034.190112.webp

I was cold, had two soakers, but had a great time.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468083080.620675.webp

Enjoy your weekend, and good luck

Steve
 
Last edited:
Upvote 50
Nice Coppa as us Yanks say!

~Blaze
 
Hi Scrappy; I can not find any info on an 1831/2 Over Strike Large Cent. Also, Yes Folks the 3 does look like an 8 ok. I'm not doubting you Scrappy, I just can't find any info on it. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Thx for looking Rob. Here's a picture of the "2" counterstamp...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468150335.432953.webp

I may have made it sound like an over strike perhaps...
 
Congrats on the excellent finds! Sweet LC!

-- Jeff --
 
Love those counterstamped coins
 
Counterstamps are killer bro. I'd love to have a nice collection some day. My collection is quite sad and pathetic at the moment. Maybe 3. At least ones a nice early Spanish. Glad you got a good one after a slow start
 
Looks like you had a successful day digging in the "jungle" Steve. Those conditions would keep most hunters, like myself, at home but your perseverance paid off with some nice finds.
 
Counterstamps are killer bro. I'd love to have a nice collection some day. My collection is quite sad and pathetic at the moment. Maybe 3. At least ones a nice early Spanish. Glad you got a good one after a slow start

Thx Abe. I was hoping the "2" was rare, like an unbarred "A" lol. Perhaps it's like Brad said and was just a bored dude messing around with a punch.
 
Looks like you had a successful day digging in the "jungle" Steve. Those conditions would keep most hunters, like myself, at home but your perseverance paid off with some nice finds.

I appreciate that Bill. I guess knowing I wasn't going to be able to detect for a few weeks kept me in the jungle. Cheers bud
 
The counter stamp looks just like a 2 cent piece 2
 
Awesome dig Steve! I was out that day too and also got soaked, remember getting off work at 1 and the rain started just as I was pulling up to a new site. Dug on and off while avoiding the showers (and sometimes in them) to pull 9 wheats and a 1944 Washington. Your buckle and LC were awesome!
 
Nice finds Scrappy! Very cool LC! Congrats and HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom