Skunked, pull tab question.

Kosh

Dec 4, 2011
Saratoga Springs, New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from the great white north. Upstate NY here, not bad today about 35 degrees. Drove south until I could no longer see snow (about 20 minutes). Monkeyed around at my wife's grandmothers a bit, found a really old looking nail in the woods but that was it.

I then drove about 10 minutes more south to an old restaurant on the river. The ground had a little frost in it, nothing major though. Ground had a lot of clay in it though. My GTP 1350 was going nuts every 2 seconds. So the ground is loaded with targets. I only bothered to dig the decent signals though as again the ground was hard digging.

Long story short I got skunked, I found some junk and a few old pull tabs. When did they stop making this particular type of pull tab? I found 2 of them about 6 inches deep. Is this a sign that this spot has not been detected? They of course sang out like silver loud and clear so I dug them.
pulltab.jpg

Upvote 0
Those were discontinued in the early 70's.Depending on where I'm detecting,I may or may not dig pulltabs.In a junky park,I'll usually ignore them but on a beach or older site I tend to dig all positive signals.Here is a ring I dug in a previously hunted yard.If you don't already know,smll gold rings sound very similar to pulltabs.(10k-6 diamonds)

Attachments

• 041b.jpg
    041b.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 989
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 932
  • 041b.jpg
    041b.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 994
I remember using these when I was a kid (late 1970s). They are pretty much everywhere. They were usually discriminated against by the early detectors so thats why you will still find them everywhere.

Ya they are very close to the gold indicator on my GTP 1350. I don't mind digging them really. Its those rusty nails and other rusty pieces of iron that ring near the middle of my tone that really drive me batty. I think I am digging a good target and then I see rust in the soil and right away I know its gonna be a nail.

Foil is another story all together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back