Sluice box classifier "Top Runner"

heartlander27

Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Sluice box classifier "Top Runner"

Andy--that is a fascinating design. Any percentages of values caught info.?

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB said:
Andy--that is a fascinating design. Any percentages of values caught info.?

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny, Andy and I did a couple more videos. He tested with about a gram and a 1/2 of the baby powder, to pin tip size gold we get in Nebraska.. I will see if he can post the link here.

The results are in... I had a loss of 15%... OUCH .Although it's really not that bad considering the gold is ALL in the 30- 300 mesh range. It's very possible I lost some just trying to re, recover, or some is still hiding in the concentrates or carpet. Anyway I wont be doing another test like this again. All my other tests have been really good, Ive taken averages of test pans. For example, if I have an average of 10-20 specks per pan, then I can have an expectation of what i'll find in the sluice. This works as long as I can keep track of the material ran. I really didnt expect to see very much gold in the secondary trap, this is how I came to conclude I was overloading. Most other test runs resulted in zero or 1-2 specks caught in the secondary trap. I should be able to get within 95-98% percent recovery no problem.

Here are the reasons why I lost the 15%

1. Biggest reason was operator error, I overloaded the sluice, this is very apparent when you see the video. I'm generally used to using a 1/4" screen which can be ran faster. I dont think the bottom overloaded, it was mostly on top, I believe gold ran right off the end before it could drop out.
Solution: Run slower (easy fix) you can see in the first video posted that it's running correctly (not overloaded)

2. The 3rd staggered screen only has 4" of recovery system in the primary trap. At the third perforation material drops and has little time to get caught in the expanded metal/ carpet.
Solution: Lengthen sluice 6"

Hope you enjoy!

russau said:
Andy/Rex, nice add in the ICMJ this month!

Thanks Russ, Mrs Sally Harn designed it. She did a great job. She prompted me to have my daughter in the ad. Just so happens she was Snow White for Halloween, it just all kinda fell in place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back