sluice boxs

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey all,
I want to buy my first sluice box, how ever I am unsure of which one to buy.
How much of a difference in recovery is there between say a 24" or a 50" ? I am looking for optimum recovery, I am sluicing in new england so from what i am told most gold is relatively small, I am uncertain as to what is the ideal box to buy.
The Keene Engineering A52P folding sluice box is looking really good, but the 30" Royal Mfg. is half the price and size.
any and all sugestions would be a big help
Thanks John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For that superfund gold look to Angus Mackirk sluices...you'll be glad you did!

mus302

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2012
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too am at the point of researching my first sluice purchase. I am leaning towards an Angus MacKirk sluice, most likely the Recon. From reading this and other forums they seem to be well recommended and clean up a lot easier than traditional sluice designs that include carpeting/miner moss.

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are dealing with small flour gold check out this site, the matting they have is some AWESOME stuff, watch ALL of the vids on this site, yes some of them are long, but what else do ya have to do :tongue3: ...... http://www.goldhog.com
Good luck and God Bless

OKIE

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigger is mo' better as it all breaks down to one fact--the more you move--the more you get. Look at Le Trap as no carpet,no hastles,ez to tote around as lightweight,catches micro fines right nice and good to go,and no I don't sell anymore so not pocketpickn' ya-John

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the good info Hoser. I now have a Letrap. How small do you screen down stream gravel?
Do you use a frame for the setup or just stiffen up the sides and bottom?

Thanks,
Mike O

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like 1/2-1" and good to go,got a pic here somewhere ?? with over 2 1/2 POUNDS in my cleanups with one--this pic resizing is insane to post???-John

OP
OP
C

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank You everyone for the info that was a great help, I do appriciate everyones feedback
say Okie you weren't kidding that is an awesome looking style of matting I like that design,
I am also liking that le Trap looks easy to trans port considering some of the ones I have been looking at are Huge, well I am off to go buy one and hit the river thanks again everyone

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Okay Hoser, you got me hooked like a crack-head. :BangHead: ::) Now show me the picture. :laughing7:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think this type box would work great for your needs, it moved material quite quickly through the box and with good recovery.

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 396

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your looking for a low hassle set-up, take a look at the Gold Bazooka Sluice and the Grizzly Sluice III. With both of these sluices, you don't have to classify, just shovel directly into them. The Gold Bazooka Sluice will trap nuggets and all the way down to 100 mesh fines. The Grizzly Sluice III is advertized as retaining 99.9% of the fines, also it is easier to set-up than a traditional sluice because it is set beside the water. I bought both of them this winter and since we're finally getting some warm weather this weekend, I'll going to try both of them at a GPAA claim on the Arkansas River. I picked these two sluices because our gold here in Colorado is mainly course flakes down to microscopic fines, and I know those fines are blowing out of my Keene sluices. I'll post some pictures and results next week.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
nuggetshooter323 said:
If your looking for a low hassle set-up, take a look at the Gold Bazooka Sluice and the Grizzly Sluice III. With both of these sluices, you don't have to classify, just shovel directly into them. The Gold Bazooka Sluice will trap nuggets and all the way down to 100 mesh fines. The Grizzly Sluice III is advertized as retaining 99.9% of the fines, also it is easier to set-up than a traditional sluice because it is set beside the water. I bought both of them this winter and since we're finally getting some warm weather this weekend, I'll going to try both of them at a GPAA claim on the Arkansas River. I picked these two sluices because our gold here in Colorado is mainly course flakes down to microscopic fines, and I know those fines are blowing out of my Keene sluices. I'll post some pictures and results next week.
Looking forward to your results....... i just picked up a Bazooka........

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a A-51 type but hoping to see a Bazooka at this months Gold Show in Salem Or.
For fine gold like we have in black sands I understand a long tom type is best.
Grey

OP
OP
C

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the info everyone, 2cmorau that looks cool, I like that design.
I bought a sheet of similar mesh from home depot it's 1/4" and I also found some carpet similar, I finished building it today. I am going to try it tommorow and I even got the the wife to go with my daughter and I, so it should e a fun trip. I do need to get my hands on a welder, I had to improvise just a bit, but as long as it works I'll be happy. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• dd19.jpg
    dd19.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 381
  • dd22.jpg
    dd22.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 638

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread