sm. Hatchet-Ladies Watch

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
I found this hatchet under the evergreen today at 5", It was completely crusted with rust,I chipped most of it off with the handle of a small pair scissors, I believe its an ad premium for a stove & Range company. The watch is either a bracelet or necklace watch, It has HW or WH on the face, the back is missing so the insides are large glob of rust, any information would be helpful on either. Thank you for looking and Good Luck on your Mding endeavors.

Attachments

• Sm. Hatchet-Womans Watch.jpg
    Sm. Hatchet-Womans Watch.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 417
    130.7 KB · Views: 423
    130.7 KB · Views: 415

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wish you could make out the lettering better on the axe. I dont think its a stove lifter...too small .....but its really a neat find. Probally does have something to do with Prohibition in 1901 tho....too cool!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
QUICKSILVER (appletree)
Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
No, it is differant. Capital H over Capital W and on the bottom of the face is Swiss. Here is another picture if you want to look at it. Thanks for Looking. Edward.

Attachments

• ladies watch (2).jpg
    ladies watch (2).jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I don't know about the watch but I have a theory, or two, on the hatchet.
With a bit of manipulation I can read what appears to be;
In the first pic - below the CO
(Your?) Host
Chicago

and on the other side
The
Laurel

The Club Laurel, according to the following link, existed in Chicago in 1954.
Is this hatchet a gimmicky give-away, something like a cigar chopper, from that Club?
Looks like they were havin' a lot of fun. I would have been there but I was too busy being conceived in 1954.

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/cja/exhibits/HarveyLang/chicago.html

Here also is a found link for Laurel 'Chicago style' guitars, but while they look very cool - they could hardly be connected to an 'axe' as I asked my talented guitarist teenage son, the origin of 'axe' and he suggested Gene Simmons of KISS - open to argument ;D
http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Chicago-Style-Resonator-Guitar/dp/B000F1N8PS

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much is scribed on the hatched I am thinking it is some kind of ceremonial gimmick like for a fraternity or fraternal order. Just a guess tho'. Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
QUICKSILVER (appletree)
Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
I got low down on the ax, Its and advertisement put out by the Art Stove Company of Detroit & Chicago for their newest Parlor stove The Laurel from 1909, Thank You all for the help. ;D

Attachments

• DSCF0047_small.jpg
    DSCF0047_small.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions