What's new

Small button and a dont know

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small button and a don't know

I was able to hunt for about two hours this morning before it got too hot. I found 6 round balls, an old shotgun shell base(UMC CO. No 12 New Club), a button(I Think) and a ?.
The button is the smallest one I have ever found. It is .35"s in diameter. The "?" I have no idea on. It came out of the ground as clean as in the picture. I can make out "L 7 ??endrick, Extra" on one side . the other side is blank. I can't tell if there was a loop or anything in the middle.
The penny is just for a size reference.
 

Attachments

  • 2 things.webp
    2 things.webp
    66 KB · Views: 323
  • 2 things 2.webp
    2 things 2.webp
    94 KB · Views: 291
Re: Small button and a don't know

Here is a couple of possibilities.
IVES KENDRICK & CO. 1830'S
KENDRICK & CO. 1830'S
LEAVENWORTH & KENDRICK 1830'S
So 1830's maybe.
I think both are Sleeve buttons I've got some mighty small ones as well.
L & Kendrick extra rich see alot on military buttons of the mid 1800's(1830-1850)
 

Attachments

  • B4202B[1].webp
    B4202B[1].webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

Thanks for the help. I know there is no such thing as a dumb question but us dumb folks can ask a lot of "normal"questions. And here is mine. Does that look to be the complete button minus the loop or could it be the back of a two piece?
And, any idea on the small convex button?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

fyrffytr1 said:
Thanks for the help. I know there is no such thing as a dumb question but us dumb folks can ask a lot of "normal"questions. And here is mine. Does that look to be the complete button minus the loop or could it be the back of a two piece?
And, any idea on the small convex button?


I'd say you're right, the back piece of a 2 piece button. The only thing that strikes me about the domed one is it looks brass with an iron shank? Or am I just not seeing it right?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

I think it is all brass. It will not stick to a magnet.
 

Attachments

  • small button.webp
    small button.webp
    48 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

fyrffytr1 said:
I think it is all brass. It will not stick to a magnet.


Not a really good condition pewter is it?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

Nice finds. The UMC NEW CLUB shotshell head that you found. Is there a star around the primer, a circle around the primer, nothing around the primer or ? I am just curious as shotshell heads are my favorite find.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

Iron Patch said:
fyrffytr1 said:
I think it is all brass. It will not stick to a magnet.


Not a really good condition pewter is it?
How do I tell if it is pewter?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

turtlefoot13 said:
Nice finds. The UMC NEW CLUB shotshell head that you found. Is there a star around the primer, a circle around the primer, nothing around the primer or ? I am just curious as shotshell heads are my favorite find.

Doug
Doug,
It has the star around it. I can get a better pic if you want one. Can you date it?
 

Attachments

  • shell base.webp
    shell base.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0
Re: Small button and a don't know

Your pic is fine. I was just curious as to which style you found. I have an almost unhealthy obsession with headstamps. ::)

Doug

Thanks for posting it!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom