Small Cache

Weazel

Jan 26, 2006
Covington, GA
Years ago I think it was 1992 my grandmother died of cancer. She had told my Uncle where she had stashed the coins she had. Some my father and he already knew about because they collected coins themselvs as kids. We went through the house the three of us they had found all the caches except for one. my uncle said he could not find the last bag of coins... His story was "She said she put them in a box in the attic. so I said I would look again.

I climbed up into the attic and started looking in boxes and found the bank bag in a box within 20 min. It was a box she had used to store christmas wrapping paper. The bag I now own along with all the other coins my father got from the house. The coins were split between my uncle and my dad. When my father decided to move from georgia to utah he told me he wanted to give me the only inheratince he had which was all the coins he had gotten.

My guess is it has about 15 lbs of silver regular lbs not troy. and another 5 to 10 lbs in copper wheaties and indian head and a few flying eagle penny's. I have been adding to the collection slowly over the years with buying mint sets two each year for my own kids for the inevitable day I will pass into the great beyond.

Hope I did not bore anyone with the story.

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Not boring at all! I drool at the mere mention of a stash of old coins. I trust you've gone through them, checking dates and mint marks to see what you've got.

OP
OP
W

Weazel

Jan 26, 2006
Covington, GA
Gone through alot of them, most oar not worth much more than silver value due to how warn they are, some are slabed and some are in collectors books. no real major numismatic finds or hard to find key dates so far, I just keep them all in a safe place and ignore the fact they are there. removes the temptation to sell them off... and the safe place is not a safty deposit box in a bank. most of the silver in in dimes guarters an buff nickles a few halves and I think 10 to 15 silver dollars. some of the V nickles are pretty cool but so warn not much value but really cool none the less.

I think the neatest piece in the whole collection has no real value, it's an old german bank note for 10,000,000 marks from during the german depression. before hitler took office. and in my opinion having 10 mil even in a defunct currency is pretty cool.

K

Kentucky Kache

Weazel - Your story is what this site is all about. We sometimes forget that, so thanks for reminding us.

OP
OP
W

Weazel

Jan 26, 2006
Covington, GA
Here is a pic of the 10 mill mark note pretty cool huh.. 10 million marks that don't exixt today

Attachments

• IM000196.jpg
    IM000196.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 992

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Weazel, it's a thousand times better than you thought! "Zehn Milliarden" is actually ten BILLION! Ten million would be "Zehn Millionen." (I majored in German.)

OP
OP
W

Weazel

Jan 26, 2006
Covington, GA
Thanks for the translation... I also checked it on a website called babblefish which is a free llanguage translation website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread