Small Castle Coin... (?)

J

JDSCOIN

Small 'Castle' Coin... (?)

I've had this coin for a while now and I think that I saw a picture of it somewhere once or twice, but never marked down just what it is.

Does anyone recognize it? It is 17 mm (millimeters) in diameter. That is, the circumference of a U.S. Dime, but it is thinner. It is silver. It may have a date, but I have not tried to find it (or it may have worn off). Let me know if you know what it is. Thank you.

Attachments

• CastleO.jpg
    CastleO.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 432
  • CastleR.jpg
    CastleR.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 434

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Small 'Castle' Coin... (?)

I was thinking perhaps Spanish origin. 19th century. I've seen that three-towered castle design somewhere before, but hunted for a good hour with no luck this afternoon.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JDSCOIN

Hello Buckleboy,

Thanks for trying to help find out what this is. Interesting suggestion about it perhaps being Spanish. I think you may be right about it being from before the 20th.

Seems like I saw something like this one listed somewhere... I recognized it when I saw it, but had the coin put up and was not entirely certain. And so, did not make note of the one that I saw at that time. It seems to me that it may have been listed as a German coin. Could that be possible? Kindest regards,

JDSCOIN

PS: Here are links to larger images (full size) of the same coin.

CastleO.jpg

CastleR.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JDSCOIN

Ooops! I posted the link to images of the same cropped size.

Here's the URLs for the full-size images. You'll have to copy and paste them onto your browser:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/jdscoin/CastleOb.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/jdscoin/CastleRv.jpg

From what I understand, the full-size images should be viewed on a screen larger than 15", and I think that there is a limit to the size of images that can be posted into the TreasureNet forums.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JDSCOIN

Okay, thanks. I'll see what they have there.

You know, the style of the castle on this coin reminds me of another coin that I think is similar to it. Maybe you have seen that one. It has a 'HAND' on it on one side. I don't know where that coin comes from either.

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It appears to me that it is from the early German States like Baden, or Bavaria. Can you make out any wording?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JDSCOIN

Daddytopcat,

What you have said sounds similar to what I had thought, and I thought that because of coins which I remember being similar to this one that I thought came from that area.

As for wording, I can see a few letters and I think even a very faint date. I'll have to look closer and see what more I can make out (if anything) from each side. Thanks for the response.

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread