Small e trac coils

I have a Coiltek 10x5, and a Sunray X-5, they are both great. The Coiltek is close to the depth of the stock coil, but much better separation, the small 5 in. Sunray is great for those real trashy, close up spots. Both very good tools to have for your Etrac

Last edited:
Agree with Cooper! I have the Detech 8x6 SEF coil and it rocks. Great in the high trash areas and great separation. Remember to slow down too!

I have the 5 X 10 Coiltek Joey and the 3 1/3 X 6 1/2 NEL Snake coil. Both work great in trashy areas, but, both lose some depth over a stock (or larger) coil.

Well i bought a nel 6.5x3.5 Snake coil, very small coil,but depth is not great, and doesnt matter if its a penny dime or quarter, they all air test the same depth, will know more when i test it under real conditions, thanks everyone or the feedback,

None of the Etrac coils I've used air test very well. They work a lot better in actual hunting conditions. Seems they like a ground matrix for better depth.

I have a nel sharpshooter that pretty much lives on my Etrac.

When I used the E-Trac, I always carried a SunrayX5 in my bag. If you have heavy trash, it's incredible. I never had any coilteks but they certainly have good reports. I dont think you could go wrong with one.

Sun Ray is a killer coil. :icon_thumleft:

None of the Etrac coils I've used air test very well. They work a lot better in actual hunting conditions. Seems they like a ground matrix for better depth.

This is true of all FBS machines. Freshly buried targets do not do well either. Need to be in the ground of minimum of a year.

Coiltek all the way! I had the 6" for my E-trac and it was amazing. Only bad thing about a small coil is the time it takes you to cover even a small area.

Coiltek all the way! I had the 6" for my E-trac and it was amazing. Only bad thing about a small coil is the time it takes you to cover even a small area.

Thats the truth! It feels like you are trying to paint a barn with a toothbrush!

You can say that again! Pulled quite a few Barbers and Mercuries in very heavy trash areas where old pavilions / picnic sites use to be in 150 year old hunted out parks. Trying to hunt these areas with a standard coil drives me nuts in minutes and is non productive with all the masking and constant noise going on in your ears. If I were to cash in what I've found at Red Book value with my little 5" coil, it paid for itself many times over. But yeah, it's a slow go, however, those extremely trashy areas usually are not that big.

I use the Excellerator 4x6 and love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back