small hitler bust found *updated with hitler bunker info*

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Hey guys! I can't take credit for finding this, bammer actually found it and gave it to me (thanks!). If you check back tomorrow, I will have info on the area. He found it in the woods near Hitlers Aux bunker (its about 8 mins away on top of a hill), that was going to be the HQ for the campaign against France. There are a WHOLE line of bunkers that were built before the outbreak of ww2 in the area. Well, as you guys know France fell really fast, so the hitlers HQ bunker was abandoned, along with most of the bunkers that were built. I think the bunkers were later used again as the allies started to push into germany.. and were the second echelon of the west wall (like the town of lambsborn, the area I found with the water filled bunker). I should have more info on the story tomorrow if you are interested.

The bust looks like it was on a plaque at one time. Its in good shape, and made of some kind of heavy metal. I put a pen next to it for size comparison. I think he found it in a trash pit, as if a german found it in their house and tossed it? Not really sure how it got out in the woods.

Check back later for more info :) Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• hitlerbust.jpg
    hitlerbust.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 980
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: small hitler bust found

Hey Viper, that is an awesome bust of Hitler! I am very interested to know some details so post away buddy! Almost looks like bronze or brass, hard to tell after a patina builds up. That will make a great center piece for a display someday when you get around to it, maybe real soon if this darn weather keeps up, cccold this evening on a quick hunt after work. HH and thanks for the post, Mike

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

yep i know how ya feel bud. I wanted to go out today, but it kept looking like rain, and it never got up over 8 Degs Cel. I think it snowed a bit in Kaiserslautern too! I need to get out and do more digs and recon missions. It could be brass? I dunno, I need to do some more research on it. :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Viper ,that is really cool. :o This getting dark early is for the birds.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

Wow, I thought is was small!! That is a pretty big dig!
great find........
~Nashoba~

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

that is a very nice piece of history there !!!! holy cow.... ;D ;D ;D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Find

satellite

Sep 30, 2006
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cult Member
Cutlass II micromax
Bandido II micromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UBER DIGS!!!

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

I have been trying to find something on the net like it, but no luck! I did find one thing kind of similar to it, but it was concave on the reverse side, and had 2 mounting bolts. The color was different too. I emailed some people, asking if they could ID it for me, and if it was to a plaque or something. It is quite interesting. :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Find Viper.

that's a cool piece of History.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Zeke Hile"""" great find!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Viper, you're exactly right that that its from a plaque. I'm looking at the exact item you have (exept silver plated and on a mounted on wood) in a price guide I have. (pg 131 of John Kaduck's World War II German collectables). I'll see if I can find it online, or I could take a picture of the page if you want to see what it originally looked like. The price listed was $50, but this book was printed in 1978... however I never found it to very accurate, even back then.

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

Yes that would be GREAT!! I figured it was from a plaque. Someone prob had it in their house,and tossed into the woods. Its in good shape. Any info on it would be great! Historical value is worth more to me sometimes than "actual" value anyway :)

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Unfortnately there wasn't any more specific info about it. The other medals on it are just set there so they could fit more stuff on to the very few color pages in this guide.

Attachments

• plaque copy.jpg
    plaque copy.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 715

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Actually now that I look closer (at the collar, for instance) there are some slight differences. But I feel safe in saying it was used for the same purpose.

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

Ah awesome! Thanks! I figured it was for a plaque.. looking at the back of mine, you can see where it was prob attached to something, without nuts/bolts. I am sure there were variations of the bust. Mine is black, with the "highlights" painted gold. I think its cast iron or something.. seems like it anyway. thank you for the info and picts! I haven't hunted up in the area yet, even though its about 5 mins away from me. I prob should sometime though ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's pretty cool viper...need to take it to the firing range for fun and see who can shoot him between the eye's,Make it a payday activity and everyone put in five buck's.....HH!!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

interesting.......

HH
-GC