What's new

Small mystery tool

cellerfeller

Full Member
Joined
May 15, 2019
Messages
118
Reaction score
288
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this with a couple of mid 1800's cobblers tools. No idea what it was used for.
 

Attachments

  • 20260320_094044.webp
    20260320_094044.webp
    385.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20260320_094039.webp
    20260320_094039.webp
    390.4 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 4
I think it might be a ‘glazing Iron’. These were heated over a spirit lamp and pressed on the edges or surfaces of the leather to melt wax into it and compress the fibres to give a harder and smoother finish. There are various shapes and sizes according to whether they were intended for use on uppers, heels, soles or for other specialised purposes. This one from the manufacturer of shoemaker’s tools, George Barnsley of Sheffield, England:

Barnsley.webp
 
I think it might be a ‘glazing Iron’. These were heated over a spirit lamp and pressed on the edges or surfaces of the leather to melt wax into it and compress the fibres to give a harder and smoother finish. There are various shapes and sizes according to whether they were intended for use on uppers, heels, soles or for other specialised purposes. This one from the manufacturer of shoemaker’s tools, George Barnsley of Sheffield, England:

View attachment 2248063
Solved! - thanks for providing the solution to this little mystery - I will put it with my other cobbler tools - a local museum wants them for a display
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom