What's new

small round container?-I have no clue....

hishergarrett

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
31
Reaction score
32
Golden Thread
0
Location
barnwell,sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
I found this "thing" yesterday in an old house site.It was very deep-about 16 inches.It was apart when I found it but both pieces were together.It is about the size of a dime and has some silver gilt on it.Any help IDing it?
 

Attachments

  • boxfront.webp
    boxfront.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 392
  • boxapart.webp
    boxapart.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 386
  • boxside.webp
    boxside.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 376
Why do I think that has something to do with dispensing opium :icon_scratch: Just a crazy thought... :dontknow: jgas
 
Upvote 0
An early ant trap .. fill it with borax. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Bradyboy is close with perfume, but it looks like a Victorian sachet holder used in dresser drawers to keep their clothes smelling fresh. Remember back during those times, it was a 'yearly' bath instead of a daily one. Of course, they bathed parts of their body via a bowl & pitcher, but a totally submerged bath in a tub was not very often. The man of the house bathed first, then thewife, then children, and last was the baby; hence the saying, 'don't throw out the baby with the wash water.' Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Those holes look a little crude and not perectly spaced. Added later on in its life.......

Maybe originally a pill box :icon_scratch:


VPR
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Bradyboy is close with perfume, but it looks like a Victorian sachet holder used in dresser drawers to keep their clothes smelling fresh. Remember back during those times, it was a 'yearly' bath instead of a daily one. Of course, they bathed parts of their body via a bowl & pitcher, but a totally submerged bath in a tub was not very often. The man of the house bathed first, then thewife, then children, and last was the baby; hence the saying, 'don't throw out the baby with the wash water.' Breezie

Its what it looks like to me too. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Bradyboy is close with perfume, but it looks like a Victorian sachet holder used in dresser drawers to keep their clothes smelling fresh. Remember back during those times, it was a 'yearly' bath instead of a daily one. Of course, they bathed parts of their body via a bowl & pitcher, but a totally submerged bath in a tub was not very often. The man of the house bathed first, then thewife, then children, and last was the baby; hence the saying, 'don't throw out the baby with the wash water.' Breezie
I think you got it. Kinda small though. Could it have been carried on person with perfume? I dont know much about them but heres a later version. http://www.rubylane.com/shops/fhtv/item/9476


My Mom says, when I was little, we took a bath once a week. I think Sunday was bath day.
 

Attachments

  • Sachet.webp
    Sachet.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Bradyboy is close with perfume, but it looks like a Victorian sachet holder used in dresser drawers to keep their clothes smelling fresh. Remember back during those times, it was a 'yearly' bath instead of a daily one. Of course, they bathed parts of their body via a bowl & pitcher, but a totally submerged bath in a tub was not very often. The man of the house bathed first, then thewife, then children, and last was the baby; hence the saying, 'don't throw out the baby with the wash water.' Breezie
I think you got it. Kinda small though. Could it have been carried on person with perfume?

My Mom says, when I was little, we took a bath once a week. I think Sunday was bath day.

Yes, it could have been carried in the purse too with either sachet or powder. It's also the right size for purse smelling salts used when Victorian women got the 'vapors.' Some of the glass smelling salts containers for the purse were only 1 to 2 inches tall. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot,Breezie.I think you've hit it just right.Thanks also to all the others who posted.
Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Bradyboy is close with perfume, but it looks like a Victorian sachet holder used in dresser drawers to keep their clothes smelling fresh. Remember back during those times, it was a 'yearly' bath instead of a daily one. Of course, they bathed parts of their body via a bowl & pitcher, but a totally submerged bath in a tub was not very often. The man of the house bathed first, then thewife, then children, and last was the baby; hence the saying, 'don't throw out the baby with the wash water.' Breezie
I think you got it. Kinda small though. Could it have been carried on person with perfume?

My Mom says, when I was little, we took a bath once a week. I think Sunday was bath day.

Yes, it could have been carried in the purse too with either sachet or powder. It's also the right size for purse smelling salts used when Victorian women got the 'vapors.' Some of the glass smelling salts containers for the purse were only 1 to 2 inches tall. Breezie
Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Bradyboy is close with perfume, but it looks like a Victorian sachet holder used in dresser drawers to keep their clothes smelling fresh. Remember back during those times, it was a 'yearly' bath instead of a daily one. Of course, they bathed parts of their body via a bowl & pitcher, but a totally submerged bath in a tub was not very often. The man of the house bathed first, then thewife, then children, and last was the baby; hence the saying, 'don't throw out the baby with the wash water.' Breezie
I think you got it. Kinda small though. Could it have been carried on person with perfume?

My Mom says, when I was little, we took a bath once a week. I think Sunday was bath day.

Yes, it could have been carried in the purse too with either sachet or powder. It's also the right size for purse smelling salts used when Victorian women got the 'vapors.' Some of the glass smelling salts containers for the purse were only 1 to 2 inches tall. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom