Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Small skeleton key found on treasure coast beach [SOLVED] Toy key

20200803_060751.jpg 20200803_060650.jpg

My dad found this on the beach, im not sure what it's made of (cast aluminum, pewter?) But curious how old it might be! especially considering the ship wrecks in the area, though I dont think it's related.

20200803_060425.jpg 20200803_060441.jpg

I cant really make out what is says, looks like ARV or A-PV, I thought it might be york but I'm pretty certain it's an A there. Both sides might say the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Long night hunt so I'm gonna go to bed and hopefully come back to an ID for him :occasion14: but thanks in advance if anyone takes their time to do or try to do that!

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Based on the corrosion, it looks to be made of either zinc or pot metal? :icon_scratch:
I think it's likely the key to a 20thc jewelry box or possibly a mantle clock.

Dave

"There is no metallurgical standard for pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast. Because of its low melting temperature, it requires no sophisticated foundry equipment or specialized molds. Manufacturers sometimes use it to experiment with molds and ideas before casting final products in a higher quality alloy. Depending on the exact metals "thrown into the pot," pot metal can become unstable over time, as it has a tendency to bend, distort, crack, shatter, and pit with age. The low boiling point of zinc and fast cooling of newly cast parts often trap air bubbles within the cast part, weakening it. Many components common in pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and internal corrosion of the metal often causes decorative plating to flake off. Pot metal is not easily glued, soldered, or welded.

In the late nineteenth century, pot metal referred specifically to a copper alloy that was primarily alloyed with lead. Mixtures of 67% copper with 29% lead and 4% antimony and another one of 80% copper with 20% lead were common formulations. The primary component of pot metal is zinc, but often the caster adds other metals to the mix to strengthen the cast part, improve flow of the molten metal, or to reduce cost. With a low melting point, zinc is often alloyed with other metals including lead, tin, aluminum, and copper."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions