Well I got back to the site on Veterans day. I originally planned on Monday but that was filled with unplanned pop up things I had to do. They were all good things tho and you shouldn't argue with good Karma. Turns out on Tuesday, all the FS, FG, etc had the day off anyway...more good Karma for all involved.
So I get to my last spot and was surprised to see how much the last storm had changed things around. I barely recognized the area it and it wasn't water level that had done it. The storm had lots of 50-60 mph gusts and rain bands. There was at least 6 more inches of leaves and a couple dozen broken branches ranging from twigs to the fat end of a baseball bat. Once I got all that out of the way, I re-moved the 15 or so large rocks. I dug around and
wtf
, where did that gravel go? I start to panic a bit...doubting me, my spot, my eyes. Suddenly the trowel hits rock and sure enough... I'm back on it. Seems I didn't remember my latest research that the rocks wouldn't be white anymore since it had been exposed to air, rain, clay, etc.
As I enlarged the hole, I ran out of gravel all the way around. Turns out it was a pocket and not a channel. So ok, still ok...it's at the lowest point and right where I wanted it to be. Grabbed my rock pick and put pointy end down right in the middle. It broke up fairly easy and I went about digging and classifying using 1/2". The gravel was about three inches down and more dirt below that. I went to check the classifier and fine gold was on leaves, sticks, rocks, just about everything. Since there wasn't much junk, I decided to keep it all and stop classifying. After a couple more inches of dirt, all these roots start showing up...kite string size to baseball bat size. It was then I finally realized I was digging at the base of a large Birch tree. I had been so focused on following the gold, all I saw was a spot that needed to be dug. Talk about tunnel vision.
Disclaimer-The following is not my spot but looks a lot like it.
The roots turned the mining into a archaeological dig and I sure thought about/wished I had the vac. But I kept probing and table spoon digging and the hole kept getting deeper and bigger until I hit bedrock...about 2 and a half feet down from the surface. Until now, my deepest holes have been about a foot to bedrock. The roots were a just a huge PITA...the large ones were holding tennis ball size rocks in a death grip and and I had to break them in place with the rock hammer. The smaller roots kept grabbing and emptying my spoon and I could see gold flakes falling out and tumbling back down. Flakes and fine gold were all over... on the dirt, on the red tree roots, the black decaying tree leaves and rocks. I decided the string size roots had to go but left the big ones alone. Towards the end I was upside down and halfway in the hole using my bare hands to get out every bit (it's really hard to quit when you can
see the gold in your dirt). Once I stopped it was just like the visits before...a little over two hours and I had one 5 gallon bucket to bring home. I covered my tracks, got home, showered and went into town for a pizza as it was way past dark, we were starving and
I sure didn't want to cook.
THIS time I'll take my time prepping and sluicing. All this dirt looks just like regular old topsoil till water hits and it turns to a peanut butter color. I'd rather rinse it a couple more time than run it that way thru the sluice. Also, I now have the right equipment to process the cons...should go a lot quicker.
Next up...clean up, clean out and a total.