Snake Braces Buckle?

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi and thanks for looking at all my widgets. This is not like the Civil War snake belt buckle that we all know and love. It seems to be a one piece unit. I'm guessing that the tiny hole may have held a loop for the strap?

I have not been able to find any reference to this snake buckle. It resembles something that would have been on braces or such. I found it along with lots of other Civil War artifacts. There are some crude letters stamped into the front of it "BREVET" perhaps a soldier's name? I'm hoping that one of you folks may have some info in this piece?? Maybe it's junk? Thanks for looking.

Ed-

Attachments

• Dsc01967.jpg
    Dsc01967.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Dsc01968.jpg
    Dsc01968.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Dsc01970.jpg
    Dsc01970.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 337
OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Thanks for the tip gypsyheart. You are correct; I just did a search on it and found this:

During the American Civil War almost all senior officers received one form of brevet or another, particularly during the final months of the war. It was not unheard of for an officer to have several different ranks simultaneously, such as being a brevet major general of volunteers, an actual brigadier general of volunteers, a brevet lieutenant colonel in the regular army, and an actual regular army captain.

That makes sense since I found it where I found other Civil War items. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread