What's new

Snake or Fish Head Made of Clay??

skimfizz

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 11, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I found this while searching a creek in Summerville, SC. It's 1.5" x 1.5" or so. I cleaned it up, and it resembles the head of a snake or fish. Scales, eyes, bottom mouth, but the "back" is open and flat, and does not appear to have been broken off a larger piece.

Any ideas??

Thanks for looking!!
 

Attachments

  • SAM_7945 (1280x1048).webp
    SAM_7945 (1280x1048).webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 340
  • SAM_7946 (1280x1015).webp
    SAM_7946 (1280x1015).webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 336
  • SAM_7948 (1280x1198).webp
    SAM_7948 (1280x1198).webp
    96.8 KB · Views: 226
  • SAM_7949 (1280x889).webp
    SAM_7949 (1280x889).webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 215
  • SAM_7950 (1280x929).webp
    SAM_7950 (1280x929).webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0
I have no idea but it is interesting! I'll be checking back to see if someone here has an answer.
 
If old or say ancient and found in a creek that is not paint on it. Usually "clay" effigies were either pipes or vessels. I suggest posting it into the section here called " North American Artifacts" it may be a leverite . But welcome to t-net and enjoy the ride. Tell them you are new and need some help they like the old stuff. Have fun.
Good luck.
 
If old or say ancient and found in a creek that is not paint on it. Usually "clay" effigies were either pipes or vessels. I suggest posting it into the section here called " North American Artifacts" it may be a leverite . But welcome to t-net and enjoy the ride. Tell them you are new and need some help they like the old stuff. Have fun.
Good luck.

Thank you very much for the redirection. I can't find anything online that resembles Native American artifacts such as effigies or vessels, so I just thought maaayyybe it still could be something from that period or older. It is interesting still. Found it while sifting for shark's teeth. Thanks again!
 
Have you tried scratching it on the inside so it doesn't show to see if it is clay... doesn't appear to be clay......

I am moving it to artifact to see if they know, we can always move it back if you wish...
 
I'd guess its part of a snake from a "Face Jug", a type of folk pottery which South Carolina is known for (as they're very collectible). Sometimes a snake would be wrapped around a grotesque face (or even devil's face) others just had snakes (as the one below), but are often put in the same category, sometimes called "crazy jugs" (but I'm not sure on how prevalent that term is).
Marvin Bailey Folk Pottery Snake Jug Jug South Carolina | eBay
As for the black portions, it would be the remnants of a glaze, if my theory is correct.
Added: googling "snake jug" will show more examples, often South Carolina, sometimes North Carolina, sometimes Georgia, but mostly SC.
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Marvin Bailey started doing that kind of embossing in 1994 of his folk art jugs. I see a mouth the lower jaw but no eyes?
 
Oops, I didn't mean to pick a modern one to use as an example. But I guess it works to illustrate the type of thing I'm referring to. I am rethinking this though... I may have been seeing what I wanted to, as when I think "old pottery, South Carolina, snake", then it's what comes to mind. But I agree the "eyes" that I thought I saw looking right at me in the first picture might have been a stretch. Further, the mouth of most snakes divides it's head a bit more evenly, running down the side, rather than beneath. Maybe just a case of "artistic liberty"?
Also, I've now read that snake jugs were actually more common out west, although the face jugs are strongly connected to South Carolina. I made (another) error above by referring to "crazy jugs" when I meant "ugly jugs" as being a term for this type of thing.
So, I don't know, maybe just an applied decorative handle from a small crock?
 
I do not know what that is. Just wanted to say you are hunting a really historical area near or around Charleston SC. Great place!
 
All I see is a very unusual rock, not an Effigy. If I've said this once I've said this a thousand times. The Native Americans were very good artisans and if they wanted to create a Snake Head Effigy there would be no doubt as to whether it was or not. Do a little research and go look at actual Effigies and you will see if they wanted to depict an animal then it looked like that animal. I think yours is more than likely a Fossil of some kind.
 
Last edited:
The Grim Reaper said:
All I see is a very unusual rock, not an Effigy. If I've said this once I've said this a thousand times. The Native Americans were very good artisans and if they wanted to create a Snake Head Effigy there would be doubt as to whether it was or not. Do a little research and go look at actual Effigies and you will see if they wanted to depict an animal then it looked like that animal. I think yours is more than likely a Fossil of some kind.

Reaper, I agree with you. However, I think hundreds or even thousands of years in various weather conditions could ruin the greatest masterpiece, by the greatest artist. Another thought is, only the best pieces make it to a public display. These are only thoughts of mine, not trying to start a stink, but, had I found this piece, I would have brought it home. Smiling!
 
Is it made of pottery? Maybe its a pot leg. Doesn't look like a fossil to me personally. Cool find! :thumbsup:
 
Is it made of pottery? Maybe its a pot leg. Doesn't look like a fossil to me personally. Cool find! :thumbsup:

Wish I knew :dontknow:

What I do know is that I lightly rubbed my fingernail along the inside of the opening, and the color of the piece was on my nail and resembles fine powdery dust. If you were holding it, I'm 99% certain you wouldn't believe it to be a rock/fossil. I have several fossils from sifting in the creeks, and this just looks too much like some 'man' formed it. I was just minding my business looking for shark teeth, and this junk landed in sifter lol.

May never know?
 
skimfizz said:
Wish I knew :dontknow:

What I do know is that I lightly rubbed my fingernail along the inside of the opening, and the color of the piece was on my nail and resembles fine powdery dust. If you were holding it, I'm 99% certain you wouldn't believe it to be a rock/fossil. I have several fossils from sifting in the creeks, and this just looks too much like some 'man' formed it. I was just minding my business looking for shark teeth, and this junk landed in sifter lol.

May never know?

That sounds like a piece of Indian pottery to me. Many Indian pots had legs to hold it up. Your piece reminds me of one of those legs. Here is a picture from the Internet for example. I hope you find a definite answer!
 

Attachments

  • image-1516901597.webp
    image-1516901597.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 313

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom