What's new

Snakes and Treasure Hunting questions

goverton

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
407
Reaction score
53
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an area that I suspect has treasure buried there.......by a map I have......

Trouble is I have to go along a River that is tree covered next to a farmed field that is not tree covered. I suspect that treasure
signs pointing to field where $$ is located, is in this tree covered area.

This area is known for snakes and I am not sure what is best time to go into this tree covered area.

Winter time.....snakes tend to go underground or come out and sun on rocks but short daylight time
Summer time.....snakes come out and stay in shaded area...my tree area to be searched.

What is your experience in hunting such an area? And when is the best time to go looking?
 

Attachments

  • River and Field.webp
    River and Field.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 568
Without getting nosy - what state are you in?

Different areas have different snake profiles.
 
Oklahoma and Texas
 
Get yourself a good set of snake boots and chaps and have at it. I would worry more about the heat than snakes. Also. I have found when hunting in an area near water that Thermacell is a must. Oh yeah, watch out for poison ivy too.
 
Don't forget the Poison Oak,it's worse,I know !!!!!!
 
It depends how snake savvy you are. The venomous snakes I have encountered will usually avoid you, it's when they are surprised they will defend themselves. Get your chaps, and make a lot of noise when you head in the bush.

You can buy quality chaps on my website at www.woodlanddetectors.com
 
Fall, Early winter. Once you actually identify a dig zone, then you can decide whether to use gasoline or some other killing agent. I have experience with rattlesnake dens and water moccasins. Both can be VERY aggressive and are no joke. Snake guards, gloves and arm protectors - DO NOT reach where you can't see. Look UP before moving forward. Good luck!
 
Woodland Detectors said:
It depends how snake savvy you are. The venomous snakes I have encountered will usually avoid you, it's when they are surprised they will defend themselves. Get your chaps, and make a lot of noise when you head in the bush.

You can buy quality chaps on my website at www.woodlanddetectors.com
Like he said,Make a LOT of noise.
 
Right on Terry,those CottonMouths like them trees!!!!!!!!!!!
 
worldtalker said:
Don't forget the Poison Oak,it's worse,I know !!!!!!

Actually, Poison Sumac is worse, but he doesn't have either Poison Oak or Poison Sumac in Texas - Oklahoma region.

Can't help you on the snakes; don't know their habits down there well enough. Sorry.
 
BumLuck,Had PoisonOak down in Tennessee,man it rotted the skin off my arm,took a long time to heal.I've seen their root goin up a tree,12in. in dia.Never had no Sumac,don't ever want none!!!!!!!!!!
 
Summer time in a tree covered area next to a woods the brush is going to be tall and thick. If I were going to an area where snakes are then I'd want to be able to see the ground where I was walking and the surrounding ground. I wouldn't want to be walking through brush. Summer is a bad time to be in a wooded area next to a river. Late winter/early spring is the best time.

-Swartzie
 
I am sure there are very few snakes in the area, chances of you coming across one is rare. I've seen a snake once in my entire 10 years of detecting.
 
Late spring is the active period for rattlers here in Wisconsin, but I don't know about Texas.

I personally don't like it when I can't see the ground - was in that crap last week for work, in shorts (I know, am I nuts?).

The rattlers are coming back; farmers are grazing the woods a lot less, so the woods are growing up and there's less activity in them. There's hardly any frogs for them to eat, but still there's more reports of them around here and coming back.

I personally don't like them in my workplace, and could get along fine without them. Just one more PITA.

As far as the poisonous plants go, here's a good article about them, maybe more than you want to know:
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0802.htm#natural


from http://www.bio.umass.edu/micro/immunology/poisoniv.htm
The poison ivy plant and its relatives are common throughout the United States. Poison ivy leaves are coated with a mixture of chemicals called urushiol. When people get urushiol on their skin, it causes an allergic contact dermatitis. This is a T cell-mediated immune response, also called delayed hypersensitivity, in which the body's immune system recognizes as foreign, and attacks, the complex of urushiol-derivatives with skin proteins. The irony is that urushiol, in the absence of the immune attack, would be harmless. The most common treatment for severe contact dermatitis is with corticosteroids, which diminish the immune attack and resulting inflammation. A recent recommendation for mild cases is to use manganese sulfate solution to reduce the itching. Jewel weed is also recommended.

Apparently my immune system doesn't respond to urushiol, so I don't 'get' it.
 
Hi Goverton. Well, you got some good advice here ,and some not so good. Snakes can't actually hear but they do sense sound waves but mostly rely on sensing ground vibrations., so some foot stomping may help from time to time. Rely mostly on paying VERY close visual attention to your surroundings , above(trees & bushes) and below. Cottonmouths are naturally mean /ill tempered/totally fearless, and likely as not,will hold his ground and be agressive in doing so. Just depends totally on what mood he happens to be in and will have nothing to do with you making noise or shaking the bushes or anything else.Some of those things may just provoke him to agression. Being near a river you can be sure there will be some critters there and will show up most likely when and where you least expect them. Winter is best for your hunt of course and on the coldest days. Though they may be sluggish when out sunning when it is cold,they are still plenty capable of nailing you if you get on him.I too have gone for years and not seen a snake, summer or winter, but then have seen several poisionous ones (Copperheads and Cottommouths)in those same areas when detecting. That tells me they have not left for other parts but have always been there, I just did not see them. Go Figure, and "take care, for they are there"! HH, Cass
 
Might consider carrying a 'Judge' pistol loaded with 4.10 shot shells...

And always have a companion (human)
 
Great suggestions Stefen!! A pistol loaded with "shot shell" and a friend are two of the best companions for any trip but especially those trips where they both will make you feel better for them just being there. And 4 eyes are much better than 2! Also wear some snake leggons. You just cannot be to carefull when going into those places where poisnous critters may be. In those places I always wear my leggons and a 22 Mag.loaded with "shot shell." Just point and shoot, and it's over for a critter. HH Cass
 
In my experience snakes aren't generally interested in what people are doing unless they feel threatened. Most will know you're coming and be out of there before you ever see them. If you get one cornered (or step on one) it can be a different story though. I'd say find a nice strong stick about 6 feet long and use probe through the brush ahead of you if you are worried about an area. That's usually enough to run them off or at least get them to show themselves. Remember too, most of the snakes you're likely to see are not venomous, and nothing to worry about.

Check with your local fish and game to see what kind of snakes are likely to be in the area, and familiarize yourself with their markings, it'll be time well spent.
 
Hi Ken, I have myself on several occasions observed Cottonmouths come to a commotion instead of away from it. They may leave a site when threatened, or they may not, and are fearless of humans. To rely on them vacating a site because you stirr things around them is not a good thing to rely on.It can even even provoke their already ill tempered and surly moods even more. I have witnessed this for myself and the best way to approach their areas is with your total realization for extreme caution, and be keen with all your sensences for locating them where ever they they are likely to be encountered in close quarters.Granted, most other snakes are not so inclined to be agressive or inqusitively up to hanging around, but not so the Cottonmouth.He comes and goes where and when he wants to and deserves much more respect than any of the others. He can be, and is frequently a really ugly SOB. HH, Cass
 
Cass said:
Hi Ken, I have myself on several occasions observed Cottonmouths come to a commotion instead of away from it. They may leave a site when threatened, or they may not, and are fearless of humans. To rely on them vacating a site because you stirr things around them is not a good thing to rely on.It can even even provoke their already ill tempered and surly moods even more. I have witnessed this for myself and the best way to approach their areas is with your total realization for extreme caution, and be keen with all your sensences for locating them where ever they they are likely to be encountered in close quarters.Granted, most other snakes are not so inclined to be agressive or inqusitively up to hanging around, but not so the Cottonmouth.He comes and goes where and when he wants to and deserves much more respect than any of the others. He can be, and is frequently a really ugly SOB. HH, Cass

The only other aggressive snake is the Mojave Green Rattler which is 40 times more deadly than any other rattler...

Fortunately they aren't in your area...

Long sticks, snake loads, common sense, caution and a friend is all that is needed...

Enjoy you're venture...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom