What's new

Snakes and Treasure Hunting questions

Hi Cass, I do know what you mean about cottonmouths, the eastern massasauga rattler (bog rattler) is another one like that. Nasty buggers. My point was just to watch out and keep in mind that most snakes are not dangerous and to take the time to be educated about them. There's no point in killing anything that's either not a threat, or that you're not going to eat. A little knowledge goes a long way in the woods.
 
NOLA_Ken said:
Hi Cass, I do know what you mean about cottonmouths, the eastern massasauga rattler (bog rattler) is another one like that. Nasty buggers. My point was just to watch out and keep in mind that most snakes are not dangerous and to take the time to be educated about them. There's no point in killing anything that's either not a threat, or that you're not going to eat. A little knowledge goes a long way in the woods.

I've had many encounters with the massasauga, and found them not aggressive. The first was wading chest deep in a swamp, hitting it with a stick, age 12. The last when surveying a few years ago, he watched me from a pond, like 15 feet away. Good thing, I was stuck thigh deep in the mud. I think they're cute.

I used to hunt eastern diamond backs, and they are foul tempered. Don't like them.
 
I detect here in Ecuador over 400 kinds of snakes . I find the best protection in snake country is have someone walk in front of you .
But Seriously snakes are way over rated make noise thump the ground and they slink away they really don't want to mess with ya.
I have actually never seen a snake in the bush while using this meathod.
I see plenty crossing the road from a truck .
But when I first was here I was freaking out walking through neck High grass and having a native tell me oh don't worry no snakes in this area. he was on a horse I always wondered if the snakes knew it was a no snake zone.
But after being here 2 years and in the bush all the time . I play it safe but I really do not worry about it.
 
Landfar said:
I detect here in Ecuador over 400 kinds of snakes . I find the best protection in snake country is have someone walk in front of you .

Ha...that's funny. but no kidding....think I'd hire a guide (target) to walk in front of me.... :thumbsup:
Equador.... don't you have like the Bushmaster and Fer De Lance down there...just to name a couple of MANY nasty life-threatening critters in your neighborhood? You deserve to find Incan treasure with those kind of obstacles. And here I'm worried about poison ivy and maybe the rogue Massasauga rattler.... ::)
 
I like landfar's advice. haha! About rattler's we used to say the first one gets his attention, the second one makes him mad, and the third one gets bit. Some good advice so far. Study up on your local flora and fauna. Most snakes just want to get away given the chance but water snakes always seem to be more territorial and aggressive. SE Oklahoma does have poison oak and poison sumac, even reports of alligators around Broken Bow and Idabel. NE Texas would probably be about the same. Not much of all growin right now in West Texas. Just go for it and pay attention. Please do let someone you trust know where you'll be and when you expect to be back, just in case. GH!
 
worldtalker said:
Right on Terry,those CottonMouths like them trees!!!!!!!!!!!

They do like trees, and unlike many other poisonous snakes, moccasins and C-mouths will pursue you. The main thing is to not step on any snake! martin
 
RGINN said:
I like landfar's advice. haha! About rattler's we used to say the first one gets his attention, the second one makes him mad, and the third one gets bit. Some good advice so far. Study up on your local flora and fauna. Most snakes just want to get away given the chance but water snakes always seem to be more territorial and aggressive. SE Oklahoma does have poison oak and poison sumac, even reports of alligators around Broken Bow and Idabel. NE Texas would probably be about the same. Not much of all growin right now in West Texas. Just go for it and pay attention. Please do let someone you trust know where you'll be and when you expect to be back, just in case. GH!


That is good advice.....
I am already alergic to Poison sumac....just getting near it and I break out.......I always carry
CalaClear and sometimes put it on before I venture out. Works wonders! Always have to wash clothes after being around Sumac.
 

Attachments

  • CalaClear.webp
    CalaClear.webp
    6 KB · Views: 185
goverton said:
I am already alergic to Poison sumac....just getting near it and I break out.......I always carry
CalaClear and sometimes put it on before I venture out. Works wonders! Always have to wash clothes after being around Sumac.

That's smart. I ALWAYS wash my bush clothes in hot water in the summer when I get back home. Never can tell what you brought back with you.

For insects, Chiggers are the most miserable, and deer ticks are the most dangerous. As far as plants go, it is cheap insurance for you.
 
A lot of good advice has been given on this topic. In central Texas, another problem we have is alligators, feral hogs, and cougars. I would not hunt around a river or creek alone, the more the merrier. I also do not hunt in the woods unarmed. The animals in the area dictate the weapon. I do not use headphones while in the woods either.

Good luck, and be safe,

Bill
 
bsloan said:
A lot of good advice has been given on this topic. In central Texas, another problem we have is alligators, feral hogs, and cougars. I would not hunt around a river or creek alone, the more the merrier. I also do not hunt in the woods unarmed. The animals in the area dictate the weapon. I do not use headphones while in the woods either.

Good luck, and be safe,

Bill

Also very good advice. Cougars are ambush hunters who have lost a lot of their fear of man due to not being hunted often, if at all.
 
McKinney_5900 said:
worldtalker said:
Right on Terry,those CottonMouths like them trees!!!!!!!!!!!

They do like trees, and unlike many other poisonous snakes, moccasins and C-mouths will pursue you. The main thing is to not step on any snake! martin


I was of the opinion that moccasins and C-mouths were one and the same :icon_scratch:
 
Terry speaks from many years in the wilds of White Plains, New York!! The venomous reptiles are exceptionally thick up there! :o
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom