What's new

Snow day=$340 in nickels

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, got pounded with heavy snow, which meant school was canceled. Not wanting to be bored all day, I dumped my coins and bought up $340 in nickels, $20 hand and the rest machine. I got: A Cedar Point Token, 3 war nickels (42s, 43s, 45p), one dateless buffalo, and, finally, my first rare nickel variety. It is a 1941 large s, in nice shape too.

HH
-GC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3168.webp
    IMG_3168.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3169.webp
    IMG_3169.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0
i hate to show my ignorance but i'm not familiar with that variety....is it the last "s" in "states" ???
 
no, it is the mintmark...featured in "Strike it rich with pocket change" book

HH
-GC
 
goldencoin said:
no, it is the mintmark...featured in "Strike it rich with pocket change" book

HH
-GC


Also mentions it in the redbook! Congratulations
 
I don't know if I would go so far as to call it "rare", but it is definitely far rarer than the small S variety.

My breakdown of 1941-S nickels for the past two years.
2008: 48 total (5 large S)
2007: 57 total (10 large S)

so 15 / 105 have been the large S variety for me, or put more simply 1 in 7.
 
Regardless how rare it is, $10.00 for a nickel is a good deal to me...also, my stats are nowhere near yours, maybe you're closer to an original shipment?

HH
-GC
 
Judging by how long it's taking me to put together a roll of Large S 1941's, I'd say the mintage is somewhere around 5-8 million, which is semi-key. Who quotes it as being worth $10?

Great finds BTW! Is the buffalo mint marked?
 
Strike it rich with pocket change, yes the buff has an s mint
 
Immy said:
Judging by how long it's taking me to put together a roll of Large S 1941's, I'd say the mintage is somewhere around 5-8 million, which is semi-key. Who quotes it as being worth $10?

If my 1 in 7 theory is right...of the 43,445,000 minted, 6,206,428 should be Large S.
 
goldencoin said:
Hello, got pounded with heavy snow, which meant school was canceled. Not wanting to be bored all day, I dumped my coins and bought up $340 in nickels, $20 hand and the rest machine. I got: A Cedar Point Token, 3 war nickels (42s, 43s, 45p), one dateless buffalo, and, finally, my first rare nickel variety. It is a 1941 large s, in nice shape too.

HH
-GC

LOL!!! I wish I still had snow days still! When you get to college you won't have that anymore. Well actually last year we had two in a row because we got a MASSIVE blizzard. It was the first time they cancelled classes because of snow since 1984....

Great finds by the way! Did you happen to see the Buffalo herd I found last week?

-Codes
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom