pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i have a park near me that ive found coins 12 to 14 inches . i know that mostly from the trees, so now i found a old ghost town in the desert. there allot of stuff like cans on top of the ground. with just wind and sand ,how deep to you think the coins can get in 100 years? thank you brad
I've recovered LC from under the leaves. It was on a steep slope in a park.
Timex self wind watch @ 14" in a wet park in Vancouver BC. and it still functioned.
Black powder shells that looked like only a few years old, an inch down but were from the 1800s. Dry inland desert of BC.
So climate conditions are one of the biggest factors in how deep something will sink.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
P
i have a park near me that ive found coins 12 to 14 inches . i know that mostly from the trees, so now i found a old ghost town in the desert. there allot of stuff like cans on top of the ground. with just wind and sand ,how deep to you think the coins can get in 100 years? thank you brad
picture an old cellar. It has a jar of coins in it, say in 1885. The property is abandoned. Years later the site is bulldozed. That jar of coins could be 9 ft under ground.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve wondered that also. Over the centuries, specifically in United States being a new country id think most coins should be 12 inches or less, but we have no proof howthe land has changed, meaning land filled area,top soil, if something is deeper than a foot, I think more dirt was pushed Over original, I mean since the beginning of coins in America how else would they get deeper than a foot, my question

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's put it this way. Don't pay $1,600 for the latest metal detector and think you're going to find hundreds of deep coins the cheaper detectors may not detect. Not gonna happen. You might find a few coins others have missed, but not worth the extra grand for a "better" metal detector.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you where given a choice which would you get xp deus 2 or minelab manticore, from the many videos put out, we no the price is overhyped but what would you want

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've gotten coins 4 feet deep on 18th century house sites. By sifting along the foundations stones you can find a another layer of truth!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you where given a choice which would you get xp deus 2 or minelab manticore, from the many videos put out, we no the price is overhyped but what would you want

Minelab detectors seem to have leaking issues, so I would have to go with a Deus 2. Nothing worse than having down time to get a detector repaired.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information, yeah wind, water, if We only can know what’s original ground and not yes we have maps etc. old foundations require many hours, problem is they are fading away every day not recognizing them. You got to get lucky finding one if you find nails your close

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I detect in Florida & am always amazed that more valuable old coins are not often found. Several years ago, I detected a private boat ramp & park area of an 1800 home, that was a mansion at one time. It had never been detected. I used a Fisher CZ3D & searched by grids . I was finding 1960's coins a foot deep. So many coins are lost forever.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom Dankowski did an article on this subject way back in 2006 called "Hunt Wisely" He determined by pulling hundreds of pull-tabs and dating them that 1960's dirt in Florida and California if I recall coins were as deep as 9.5" Which in theory means that coins would sink on average approx .8" -1" per 5 year period. I'm assuming this would be in locations where you had leaves falling and renewing the top soil. Of course this isn't a comprehensive test but the closest I've seen to a scientific test. Additionally based on Tom's research it would be fair to deduce that in some places coins from the 1960's should now be 12".

Someone asked about the D2 and Manticore - I personally am leaning towards the D2 only because I don't hunt in water and the iron separation for now is better. I'll probably opt for the D2 WS6 because it is much cheaper. I've seen some video's (Detector comparisions) on youtube clearly showing the Manticore falsing on deep iron. Something I know Minelab is working on an update to fix. Amazing looking screen though on the Manticore.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once as a kid I dug a hole randomly and found a buffalo nickle 2 feet down.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom Dankowski did an article on this subject way back in 2006 called "Hunt Wisely" He determined by pulling hundreds of pull-tabs and dating them that 1960's dirt in Florida and California if I recall coins were as deep as 9.5" Which in theory means that coins would sink on average approx .8" -1" per 5 year period. I'm assuming this would be in locations where you had leaves falling and renewing the top soil. Of course this isn't a comprehensive test but the closest I've seen to a scientific test. Additionally based on Tom's research it would be fair to deduce that in some places coins from the 1960's should now be 12".

Someone asked about the D2 and Manticore - I personally am leaning towards the D2 only because I don't hunt in water and the iron separation for now is better. I'll probably opt for the D2 WS6 because it is much cheaper. I've seen some video's (Detector comparisions) on youtube clearly showing the Manticore falsing on deep iron. Something I know Minelab is working on an update to fix. Amazing looking screen though on the Manticore.
Tom is bright fella, I mean don’t things have a limit to sinking in the dirt, not water, or is it a constant sucking downward once a object is dropped

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I think one or two figured it out... things dont sink in the ground...the ground builds up and compacts on top of the majority of lost metal items. Time goes on and nature covers it up.
Put a penny in a long living houseplant....see how long it takes to sink...it wont

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins don't really sink per sey unless they are in wet soil they are covered up by leaves, grass, dirt ect that decomposes.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunt in the bush and one can figure it quickly enough. Under a 100+ year Pine Tree everything will be deep down. While the rest might be 2-6 inches.
Mowed grass will see more sinkage than non mowed areas.
12" vs 50" of rain a year.
Soil composition has a factor as well heavy clay-sandy loam it will make a difference.
The list is long

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So hypothetically speaking how deep is the average coin in America considering drop and the process start. vs buried oh yeah how much treasured of any kind is still buried is there anyway proof or statistics, thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread