Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I call it fishing. More or less I was carrying fishing gear, but I just couldn't find a place on the creek with any fish in it. :icon_scratch:

I won't be complaining, though. :laughing7: 8-)

Since searching the water for fish was unproductive, I began searching the dry spots for these tiny red and brown toads that happen to make good live bait when I spotted this oddly shaped rock. There was a huge chance I was seeing a natural formation, but what the hell, I picked it up anyway, intending to post it here for y'all to mull over. Never seemed to have the time, so it sat on my dining room table until today.

Yesterday, I went to an encampment reenactment hosted by a local history society my group associates with. A guy there had a remarkable display of Revolutionary War military buttons on display - some he found while metal detecting - so of course we got to talking. He told me he is a curator at an Indian museum in Allentown, so I asked if I could send him pictures of a few items I wasn't sure about, and he said yes. Well, since my travels today would have taken me past the reenactment, I decided to just bring some stuff to show him.

Today, he was displaying a collection of arrowheads. First, he confirmed that my bone awl is post-contact, colonial-era American Indian, and it's a loom needle rather than an awl. He mentioned that dual-thread needles are a little more uncommon than single-thread.

Then I showed him the rock. After a close inspection, he identified it as a primitive shale axe head, with some workmanship, but its time in the creek has taken its toll. He also noted a fletching notch that has seen significant use. His estimate was about 10,000 years old, possibly used up until European contact. I was ecstatic; this is only my second Indian artifact find, as I didn't think I really had the eye for it.

It measures 6-1/16" from tip to tip and about 2-3/4" at its widest point, maybe 1" thick at the shaft notches, with a weight of 7.3 oz.

Side profiles
20140928_121249.jpg 20140928_121256.jpg

Pointed edges
20140928_121317.jpg 20140928_121323.jpg

Fletching notch
20140928_121309.jpg

Short head profile
20140928_121328.jpg

Since it was found about a half mile from the hosting history society's farmstead museum, I will be fashioning a handle for it and donating it to their museum upon completion to complement the blacksmith's hammer and an old Bible I donated this summer.

EDIT: I'll also mention that he looked through my button collection and told me two of my previously-unknown buttons are Rev. War militia buttons, one a Hessian-style and the other some sort of silver-plated uniform cuff button :D

Last edited:
Upvote 6

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I call it fishing. More or less I was carrying fishing gear, but I just couldn't find a place on the creek with any fish in it. :icon_scratch:

I won't be complaining, though. :laughing7: 8-)

Sounds like fishing to me. Some like to go fishing, some, like to go catching. I actually prefer the former. :)

Very neat find!

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like fishing to me. Some like to go fishing, some, like to go catching. I actually prefer the former. :)

Very neat find!

I was hoping to CATCH something, but I guess I picked the wrong creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread