So, this has me pretty stumped.

DanScott96

Feb 19, 2022
Any ideas on this?

20220218_173758.jpg
20220218_163027.jpg

20220218_173758.jpg

I keep hearing "vesicular basalt" but this has me stumped. Found near Lone Mountain Nevada yesterday evening, was the ONLY rock like it within my field of view. It's heavy for it's size (about as heavy as 2 cans of pepsi), has what I think is a very worn fusion crust, has rust in some of the pitting, seems to have iron in some areas of the exterior, and it's SOLID inside. Being solid, it's very highly unlikely that it's a vesicular basalt according to my reading so far. After I'd chipped the edge I noticed alot of small, randomly shaped inclusions or splotches of another mineral or rock type within, not the pitting I was told would be found. I also found what I think to be a similar but very different meteorite at the same location. This one is just as heavy, no inner vesicular structure as with the other, and it has a old but still shiny fusion crust too. See pictures below.

20220218_154424.jpg
20220218_154418.jpg

Could either of these be a meteorite? The first one would have to had fell in water to get the vesicular looking texture, but it'd be extremely old if that were the case due to the elevation it was found. It could have landed in snow that later melted, leaving it for ages until I found it. The other, I'm not sure about. It is vesicular too but a very different type from the cooler one.

I need some second opinions.

Also, ignore my loud breathing and the unbearable rattle of the plastic/music inside my truck. No clue how the phone even picked that up 🤣

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thoughts would be types of Iron ore. But wow, I would be also thinking meteorites they have the look, research if the area is a known strewn field, if so it brings up the possibility of it being a meteorite, but the only real way to determine if it is a meteorite would be to have them tested .

OP
OP
D

DanScott96

Feb 19, 2022
My first thoughts would be types of Iron ore. But wow, I would be also thinking meteorites they have the look, research if the area is a known strewn field, if so it brings up the possibility of it being a meteorite, but the only real way to determine if it is a meteorite would be to have them tested .
So, you got me pretty excited now. I found a map made by data from the meteoritical society of impacts in the last century alone. Well, turns out there are TWO that hit very close to where I found these two and multiple within a few dozen miles.

ixqa0cwso5t11.png
Screenshot_20220219-125615_Chrome.jpg

The blue arrow is my estimate of where I found em and the two closest are circled.

So I'm now thinking they really are meteorites that may have fell in a cluster there. Found both 3 to 4 miles from Tonopah Nevada, I was still beside Lone Mountain. Now I need to try and compile a map of suspected impact areas for the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread