SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay Coily, don't be messing with me. What did I miss? what did you find? It was 15 below last night, I haven't driven on dry pavement in ten days cause ice don't melt when you don't hit zero, and if spring is coming, it's not in March. I am a woman on the edge, so share your good stuff.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe we should switch to ghost hunting till spring rolls along,eh?
BANG!.......-"what was that?" "did you hear that?" "Ahh!....... Dude, RUN!"

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay pipe down ya'll lol! I had to go fix us a late breakfast. Yesterday we were at an old house looking primarily for Civil War relics( there have been shells,bullets,etc. found throughout the years and I found a Confederate pistol ball in the area last week and the mister found a Confederate round ball) so as usual we waited until late afternoon to get off our duffs and go hunt.We ended up finding a pocketful of nails each until I found this little beauty,an old pin,possibly a cameo because you can see where something was "framed in" on the photos of the back. The top and bottom have a now design and on all four corners are sweet little flowers and intricate dots all around the perimeter. Would love help on dating this piece .

Attachments

• image-1478479758.jpg
    image-1478479758.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1725564180.jpg
    image-1725564180.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1414293676.jpg
    image-1414293676.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3313463182.jpg
    image-3313463182.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are two more pictures where you can barely see the "beading" all the way around and the attachment pin in the back.when we go back I'm resigning that hole to see if anything else is in it. Yes I need hand lotion.

Attachments

• image-1413169615.jpg
    image-1413169615.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2206660466.jpg
    image-2206660466.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 75

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it! Sort of looks like it might be tin? I'd guess from the design that it is from the upper 1800's, so maybe civil war era. You might want to sift the dirt in that plug, if it was a cameo it should still be there.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Susan I would be looking harder in and around the area. Great find!!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love it! Sort of looks like it might be tin? I'd guess from the design that it is from the upper 1800's, so maybe civil war era. You might want to sift the dirt in that plug, if it was a cameo it should still be there.
Thanks Susan and wvplug too.Not really sure what material it is though,seems more resilient than tin I would think and the reddish color made me think of brass for some reason but I could be wrong. I know there were CW tintype phot frames and they were pretty durable. I have a hand held kitchen sifter\strainer and may use that when we go back .

Last edited:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CG, It looks like you've found a brass Victorian Cameo frame for a brooch. Neat find, and I hope you can find the Cameo!

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the ID Breezie and good eye Susan,you were right! I guess there is no way to guess about the exact age though by design huh? The fact it's Victorian is cool in itself. Do you think its tin too Breezie?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well its cold up thar in East Tennessee dontcha know Bandit.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coily Girl - Nice Find ! I think you can feel comfortable with a date range of !880's - 1900 I think Breezie is right on - late "Victorian "
cameo piece , I also agree that it's brass .

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well worth the wait. Amazing it survived so well. Fragile. Nice save!:hello: Its cold here to. That front hit last night with a 50mph wind at 4am.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
70 yesterday, 33 & snowing today...

Nice find CoilyGirl.... and Bandit we had the same here also but my high was 27 w/snow/rain/ice. Miss Coily is only a stones throw away from me and I can't believe she's out MD'ing.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find CoilyGirl.... and Bandit we had the same here also but my high was 27 w/snow/rain/ice. Miss Coily is only a stones throw away from me and I can't believe she's out MD'ing.

Well that was early last week,then came that horrid ice storm overnight.things are slowly melting but I'm worried about some of my trees,all stooped over from the weight?.Hopefully by Friday it will be all systems go for getting back to that site!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks Limitool.Well that was this past weekend we went detecting,pretty warm,then came that horrid ice storm overnight.things are slowly melting but I'm worried about some of my trees,all stooped over from the weight?.Hopefully by Friday it will be all systems go for getting back to that site! Oops double post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread