What's new

So, You want to see some points?

old digger

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2012
Messages
7,553
Reaction score
7,437
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, You want to see some point's?

folder 2 043.webp Awls folder 2 042.webp Spokeshave,hook folder 2 041.webp Back tang & Corner tang knives. folder 2 039.webp Alberta Point or knife. folder 2 038.webp Cody knife, Scott'sbluff#2 folder 2 034.webp Folsom points folder 2 033.webp Clovis points folder 2 032.webp Sandia points folder 2 031.webp Hell Gap(L), Agate Basin(R) folder 2 030.webp Elk Basin(top), Angrostra point(B) folder 2 026.webp Eden points
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You did a good job posting the pics! All your finds? They're super nice. I'm turning a greenish color...green with envy.
 
Last edited:
Beautiful collection!!
 
Yeah buddy, tell me about that spokeshave and hook pic! The hooks are dismissed as popular fakes, and maybe many are, but I have reason to believe otherwise. I saw one of those found in the field in SE Oklahoma. I don't believe it was used as a fishhook at all. Thin enough and sharp enough, it would make a good gutting knife or a shaft scraper. Just speculation on my part. Any info or ideas on that?
 
Yea; there is some thought that maybe these hooks were used to help in stretching hides while in the process of drying. I know that Others and myself have found areas were hides were probably laid out on flat bare rocks to dry. In these areas we have found flattened river rock that must have been used to rub down the hides while being stretched. I believe that the spokeshaves were used probably in fashioning their bows, arrow shafts, and other things.
 
Very cool !
Thanks for the photos !

:icon_thumleft:
 
Positively no reproductions! These points belong to a very good friend of mine, that has been collecting for over fourty years. He just wanted to share some of his points. These points are just a small sampling of his amazing collection.
 
So, You want to see some point's?

I would like to see the ones that are personal finds.
Can you point them out?

11KBP

I asked the above question in a previous post but received no reply ...it would be interesting to know.

Could you ask your friend which of the above 25 artifacts posted above are personal finds?

11KBP
 
I was think modern on a few of those as well. Especially the first pic.
 
I dont mean any disrespect to you or your friend but there are many obvious reproductions in the group including the McCormick Folsoms and Sandia points. I hear this phrase quite often that "so and so has been collecting for xxx amount of years and he can tell the difference." Honestly, it doesnt matter if someone has collected for 200 years if they've never been taught the difference between authentic and reproduction they are doomed to get duped. I'm sure your friend is an honest guy but hunting collecting for 40+ years is not a great qualifying statement for being able to tell authentic from modern. The Folsom points are most certainly McCormick and the myth of Sandia points has been all but debunked. I dont believe there is such a thing as an authentic Sandia point.

Here's a little background story about the points found at the Sandia site which should lead you to believe they are all but bogus and likely planted. Read a little more about the myth of the site and the controversy it held. It's a pretty interesting story.

Thirteen Sandia Points Found In Sandia Cave.

Again, no disrespect to you and your friend. There's a lot of knowledge on these boards and for people experienced in seeing the reproductions those are fairly easy to tell in my opinion.

Hippy
 
Last edited:
Most of these artifacts were found in Montana and surrounding states. Some points were bought or traded. The collector did not specify which were his personal finds, and those that had been bought or traded. These artifacts were posted for your enjoyment to see and compare, and not to be criticized and scrutinized as to the whereas they were found, or if they are fake. Under no circumstances would I post any artifacts that would be questionable. This person's collection is way beyond what I could imagine of finding, purchasing, or trading. This collection contains much more than what you even see here. I could not believe it when I myself first saw this collection, and I was also skeptical when I first seen these artifacts. I even checked with powerful magnifing glass, looking for sighs of recent flaking. And did not notice any recent flaking. The fish hook, I was told was purchased from someone in Oregon or Washington state.
 
Last edited:
I dont mean any disrespect to you or your friend but there are many obvious reproductions in the group including the McCormick Folsoms and Sandia points. I hear this phrase quite often that "so and so has been collecting for xxx amount of years and he can tell the difference." Honestly, it doesnt matter if somene has collected for 200 years if they've never been taught the difference between authentic and reproduction they are doomed to get duped. I'm sure your friend is an honest guy but hunting collecting for 40+ years is not a great qualifying statement for being able to tell authentic from modern. The Folsom points are most certainly McCormick and the myth of Sandia points has been all but debunked. I dont believe there is such a thin as an authentic Sandia point.

Here's a little background story about the points found at the Sandia site which should lead you to believe they are all but bogus and likely planted. Read a little more about the myth of the site and the controversy it held. It's a pretty interesting story.

Thirteen Sandia Points Found In Sandia Cave.

Again, no disrespect to you and your friend. There's a lot of knowledge on these boards and for people experienced in seeing the reproductions those are fairly easy to tell in my opinion.

Hippy
Well; you must be over two hundred years old with all your knowledge. Like I already posted, I didn't post the photo's for all you die-hard, opinionated, know-it-alls to say that this artifact is a fake or not. Just keep your darn criticism to yourself. P.S. Maybe in your area you call them McCormick points, but here we call them Folsom points....
 
Last edited:
They are nice examples of modern flintknapping art. Thanks for sharing them.
 
Hippy, well said.It's unfortunate how many old fakes exist, and the fact that they've sat in someone's collection for 40 years makes more people think they are from a magical Pre-reproduction period.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom