Soapstone Bowl Fragment

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I picked it up I thought it was pottery at first then decided it wasn't but worth a second look later so put it in my pan and brought it back. Now that it's dry I can see what it is, a soapstone bowl fragment, thinner than the first one I found and knowing that it's 2,000 to 6,000 yrs old makes it even sweeter. The old spot that is new again is turning out to be better and better! Guess I can thank the snake for that :tongue3:

WP_20160801_005.jpg WP_20160801_007.jpg WP_20160801_001.jpg

Upvote 0

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That snake was sitting on the good stuff. Now he's gone and your finding some good stuff! That's a good soapstone piece!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is the actual color of it? The 2 pieces I have found are silver. Nice save

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does it look similar to this found in Rowan County (in laws) I am in davidson County. You have you are in Western Piedmont ...Would that be Winston Salem? Like you I had no idea what mine was. If there was not heavy amounts of Indian artifacts showing up in this certain area I would have tossed it out. What hurts is they are farmers and everytime they plough they bust more arrowheads, flint knives , pottery ...etc
IMG_1279.JPG
I know everytime it rains after they have tilled the soil you can find this stuff. Do not know what tribe was around Rowan County.....

Tom

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it look similar to this found in Rowan County (in laws) I am in davidson County. You have you are in Western Piedmont ...Would that be Winston Salem? Like you I had no idea what mine was. If there was not heavy amounts of Indian artifacts showing up in this certain area I would have tossed it out. What hurts is they are farmers and everytime they plough they bust more arrowheads, flint knives , pottery ...etc
View attachment 1343082
I know everytime it rains after they have tilled the soil you can find this stuff. Do not know what tribe was around Rowan County.....

Tom

I'm in Burke county, same as the Joara/Berry Site. Your pic looks like what I normally find and that is clay pottery and I've got tons of it from my creek. I've heard of people finding it in plowed fields along with projectile points and tools but I've only found it in my creek. Rowan county is Statesville right? Here is an article you might like Juan Pardo, the Indians of Guatari, and first contact - North Carolina Digital History It was written by one who documented everything for Juan Pardo that the high chiefdom there was a female chief. I think those people spoke Sioux and were allies of the Catawba Nation but I could be off a bit, there were so many tribes and communities.

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Delete post

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thaigler: Thank you so much for all that interesting information and stories of your family! I know the artifacts I find are from the Catawba and have done a lot of research to find out more about them. Burke county has mountains and piedmont areas and yes it's Morganton but I live on the piedmont side, opposite of the Berry site.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, we don't have soapstone around here, but would love to find something made from it.:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its rare here to. Ive only found 2 pieces of it so far

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread