Software tracker or pinpointer locator tool

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Iā€™m not the most computer smart person. Simple question probably long answer, Iā€™m ready. So what Iā€™m looking for is a way when I get to a location to pinpoint it so I no where Iā€™ve been, dumb me been so many places, folks it sure would be nice to go home open up a map and say ok now I can dictate what Iā€™ve found and move on. This would help in the woods on old foundations that are very hard to find, life to short. So if anyone can help, a program where I can perform simple task highlights a pin on locations. Iā€™m glad for your help and others to Iā€™m sure, thanks

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terra Map App if you have a smartphone. Great hiking app.

Last edited:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver ĀµMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several apps on the mobile app stores to track metal detecting finds and locations. Search for "metal detecting". Unfortunately, there will also be about 100 "metal DETECTOR" apps that claim to be able to use your phone to detect metal. So you will have to wade through those. But I went searching for one the other day and saw several choices.

I haven't tried any yet so if you find a good one report back so we can give it a try too.

Just a couple I found when searching the Google Play store for "metal detecting map". I have no idea if they are any good.

G-detect
Minelab Treasure Tracking V3
GeoDetector
Relic Hunter

Last edited:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver ĀµMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... downloaded Minelab Treasure Tracking V3 - Flat out doesn't work. It's a really old app. I'm surprised that Minelab would let someone put their name on it.

GeoDetector is not really what I'm looking for. It is more of a database for sharing with other people.

Relic Hunter doesn't seem like it is really what I am looking for either.

G-detect doesn't seem bad so far but I will need to use it more. As a software developer it seems like there could be a market for making my own app. But these things don't seem to get that many downloads.

Anyway, let us know if you find any other good apps.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW... you can also use Google Maps to add labels to places. So if you are just trying to remember your spot in the woods, you can go into Maps on your phone, hold down your finger on your position, and then save it. You can also give it a label to remember what it was. Not exactly a full fledged metal detecting app but it is still a quick and dirty way to keep track of a spot that you want to come back to.

Springcitydoc1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Granview, TN.
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 NOKTA MAKRO SIMPLEX+
2 MINELAB X-TERRA 705s, GARRETT GTP-1350
and a defunk White XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank u for the heads-up on these programs, Im going to try the Minelab Tracker Program first. I have 2 Minelab Exterra 705's a T2, and a couple more. Anyway thanks for publishing this bit of information

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an app called GeoLocator Pro, it's great, it's for ISO and android, cost 99 cents. it will locate you you on the map and satellite view. can save it and email and text to Buddys and bookmark location and GPS cord.
Here is a YouTube post of a guy giving his top five apps. the GeoLocator pro is the first one he talks about.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to try an app that is designed for hunting. I had one that showed property boundaries and allowed placing pins to designate kills. Of course, you can just put in location names or items found instead.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you from in Mercer county, I am also

whisperer

Jan 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Avenza Maps. Itā€™s pretty friendly. You do have to pay for some maps but they are cheap and you have a bunch of choices in their ā€˜map storeā€™. It will track where you go anywhere to the foot and gives you running GPS coordinates. You can pin the location but I always write the numbers down in my book if itā€™s significant, old school I guess.

The thing I like is there are usually many maps of any particular area. So FS, BLM, State road, County, Geo etc.. It matters depending on weather Iā€™m trying to find a particular mine or trying to drive an old trail and such.

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes Iā€™m not the most computer smart person. Simple question probably long answer, Iā€™m ready. So what Iā€™m looking for is a way when I get to a location to pinpoint it so I no where Iā€™ve been, dumb me been so many places, folks it sure would be nice to go home open up a map and say ok now I can dictate what Iā€™ve found and move on. This would help in the woods on old foundations that are very hard to find, life to short. So if anyone can help, a program where I can perform simple task highlights a pin on locations. Iā€™m glad for your help and others to Iā€™m sure, thanks

I use an App called What 3 words which provides GPS find points (within 3 feet) and is easy to tag with pics etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread