What's new

SOLVE THIS COIN MATH PROBLEM

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Half-Hound has 40 coins (Quarters and Halves only) worth $13. How many of the coins are halves?
 
Upvote 0
Half-Hound said:
Half-Hound has 40 coins (Quarters and Halves only) worth $13. How many of the coins are halves?

Let's see. That means 32.5 cents per coin average. 30% above the 25 cents. If 30% were 50 cent coins, that would increase the average to 32.5

So 12 halves ($6) and 28 quarters ($7) = 40 coins for $13.

Are they for sale? Are they silver?
 
To: jrf30

I have never seen this type of problem solved by your technique. Very clever! Thanks for showing me another way to look at this situation. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Half-Hound
 
Half-Hound said:
To: jrf30

I have never seen this type of problem solved by your technique. Very clever! Thanks for showing me another way to look at this situation. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Half-Hound

He must have been a math teacher... It would have taken me all day to figure it out.
 
To: 2Cents

Yes, I guess I was bored. I'll give you 2 extra credit points: 1 this year and 1 next!

Half-Hound
 
Half-Hound said:
To: jrf30

I have never seen this type of problem solved by your technique. Very clever! Thanks for showing me another way to look at this situation. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Half-Hound

I've learned all sorts of short cuts. Want an even better one?

Take a number ending in a 5 and square it. Like 25 times 25. Answer? 625. 45 times 45? 2025. How do I get it within ONE SECOND?

Take the first number, multiply it by 1 number higher, and add a 25 behind it.

So 75 times 75 is easy. 7 X 8 = 56, so it is 5625.

55 times 55? It is 30 ... 25. (3025)

Try that one on a teacher. :-)

I also have a way to do ALL squares, but it is a little more complicated (Still easier than the hard way of doing it one digit at a time)
 
I was just going to say the one's that weren't quarters. :dontknow:
 
:icon_scratch:

Yeah, I am still scratching my head on this one. Math is not my strong subject but history on the other hand I am a beast at.

Golden Silver
 
To: enamel7

You make a poor mathematician but a fabulous lawyer!

Half-Hound
 
To: golden silver

So, you are good at history?

1) Who's buried in General Lee's tomb?
2) How long did the seven-day war last?
3) When was the war of 1812?
4) What color was George Washington's white horse?
5) Who starred in the film: To Halves and Halves Not?
6) Who is the General pictured below?

Half-Hound
 

Attachments

  • General Leslie Groves.webp
    General Leslie Groves.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 308
Half-Hound said:
To: golden silver

So, you are good at history?

1) Who's buried in General Lee's tomb?
2) How long did the seven-day war last?
3) When was the war of 1812?
4) What color was George Washington's white horse?
5) Who starred in the film: To Halves and Halves Not?
6) Who is the General pictured below?

Half-Hound

1. Grant?
2. 6? Or still going...
3. 1813
4. Grey?
5. ...
6. Leslie Groves (so it says)

Sry -- I was bored and had to try. Tough quiz.
 
MauserMan said:
Half-Hound said:
To: golden silver

So, you are good at history?

1) Who's buried in General Lee's tomb?
2) How long did the seven-day war last?
3) When was the war of 1812?
4) What color was George Washington's white horse?
5) Who starred in the film: To Halves and Halves Not?
6) Who is the General pictured below?

Half-Hound

1. Grant?
2. 6? Or still going...
3. 1813
4. Grey?
5. ...
6. Leslie Groves (so it says)

Sry -- I was bored and had to try. Tough quiz.

Just a quick look and you had #1 & 4 wrong
1- No body is buried there, Grant is entombed
4- White, like he said in the question
 
spartacus53 said:
MauserMan said:
Half-Hound said:
To: golden silver

So, you are good at history?

1) Who's buried in General Lee's tomb?
2) How long did the seven-day war last?
3) When was the war of 1812?
4) What color was George Washington's white horse?
5) Who starred in the film: To Halves and Halves Not?
6) Who is the General pictured below?

Half-Hound

1. Grant?
2. 6? Or still going...
3. 1813
4. Grey?
5. ...
6. Leslie Groves (so it says)

Sry -- I was bored and had to try. Tough quiz.

Just a quick look and you had #1 & 4 wrong
1- No body is buried there, Grant is entombed
4- White, like he said in the question

Yeah, early U.S isn't my strong suit. I like WWII and the Napoleonic era.
 
Half-Hound said:
To: golden silver

So, you are good at history?

1) Who's buried in General Lee's tomb?
2) How long did the seven-day war last?
3) When was the war of 1812?
4) What color was George Washington's white horse?
5) Who starred in the film: To Halves and Halves Not?
6) Who is the General pictured below?

Half-Hound

General Leslie Groves.jpg --- lol
 
.25X + .5Y = 13
X + Y = 40

X=40-Y

.25*(40-Y) + .5Y = 13

10 - .25Y + .5Y = 13

.25Y = 3

Y = 12, X = 28.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom