3.5 MB · Views: 69

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, you got a fancy camera. I've been to school with mine, and I have a book, the D5100 for Dummies, and I'm still having problems figuring it out. I have Correl Photo Paint in the computer, so I can size and brighten or darken pictures in the computer. Other than that, I have a couple of grand kids that point me in the right direction with techy stuff. In fact they down right bail me out at times.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what the younger folks are for I think? I picked this Panasonic ZS40 for a few reasons. 1st - I don't know a enough on shooting perfect picture with a higher end SLR. 2nd - this camera is the size of a smartphone and about twice as thick and it fits in my pocket when I'm out looking for things to photo. 3rd - it has a pretty good reach on the zoom. So overall if I see something such as a animal of some kind that doesn't sit around all that well I have a good chance to pull it out and it starts up fast and maybe get a few decent shots. It has many other features that I haven't played with so much yet, such as more adjustments for manual shots, but the auto feature is pretty good and gets a picture with little time to spare. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take some lessons with a SLR some day soon, as a camera of that class can do so much more then this little one I have. My youngest daughter has never taken any classes, but she has a lot more tenacity then I and she'll put her $800. dollar camera to it's full potential, plus she has a great I eye for things to photo. I don't have or know how to use any of the fancy photoshop stuff, but I use a combination the Kodak software, what this camera can do and even the features my smart phone provides to alter the picture I take. That's just something I figured out I can do with these gadgets. I guess that comes from my lineage of depression era farmers. Ya kind of have a habit of jerry-rigging what you have on hand over going out after the latest and greatest things available to do at least a half ass job. When I was an young underground miner I heard many a time from the older fellas "just jerry-rig that somes of a B, we ain't got no time to be mess'n with the chicken feed".

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laughin' at the " chicken feed " comment! Those old timers could sometimes come off as coarse but they had a lot of good sayings, didn't they? Pretty neat effects but #2 is really great in my silly little opinion. If you do buy an SLR, keep in mind today's are just like any other piece of electronics: they are obsolete as soon as you buy it lol. Someone has come out with a newer, fancier model as soon as they start production. They have so many features that you're too busy playing with them to take pics!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laughin' at the " chicken feed " comment! Those old timers could sometimes come off as coarse but they had a lot of good sayings, didn't they? Pretty neat effects but #2 is really great in my silly little opinion. If you do buy an SLR, keep in mind today's are just like any other piece of electronics: they are obsolete as soon as you buy it lol. Someone has come out with a newer, fancier model as soon as they start production. They have so many features that you're too busy playing with them to take pics!
Oh well, I've never owned a bran-spank'n new car, so last year's latest and greatest may just suit me fine?

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Nice photo's as usual. I didn't know that could be done in camera.
True what OD said, and there are folks that have to have the latest greatest thing on the market. On one of the Canon forums, seems like most of the discussion is about speculating and predicting what features the next camera is going to have when it's released.
One thing to keep in mind is that DSLR camera bodies depreciate in value as bad as a new car, but QUALITY lenses hold their value.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice photo's as usual. I didn't know that could be done in camera.
True what OD said, and there are folks that have to have the latest greatest thing on the market. On one of the Canon forums, seems like most of the discussion is about speculating and predicting what features the next camera is going to have when it's released.
One thing to keep in mind is that DSLR camera bodies depreciate in value as bad as a new car, but QUALITY lenses hold their value.

Man, they should! $11,000+ for some lens and it doesn't even cook!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I belong to a photo forum and in almost every avatar, you see the member with a lens like that. As Ron said, the higher end brands can cost quite a bit, and even used they can cost as much as many of the used cars I have bought over my lifetime:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread