cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than a '51 S wheat cent, these were the only good targets other than $8.78 in clad. They were totally encrusted and nasty looking, so, I thought I'd show a before and after pic. A lot gets said pro and con about cleaning coins, but, with most of my finds, cleaning them only improves their look IMO. The Washington quarter was never going to look nice. It was just too corroded and pitted. I think the mercs came out pretty good though. The first photo was after they were just rinsed in fresh tap water. They then took a vinegar bath overnight in the end of an aluminum can, then rubbed with baking soda and rinsed.

Attachments

• beforesilver.jpg
    beforesilver.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 143
  • aftersilver.jpg
    aftersilver.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 112
  • aftersilver2.jpg
    aftersilver2.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 24
OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops, I almost forgot about the token I found too. I normally like finding them, but, If they're going to be made from the same crappy metal that zinc cents are made from, I'd just as soon not find them. I couldn't even tell what it was when I first dug it up. I knew it was made of aluminum. but, that was it. After an overnight soak in vinegar and a baking soda rub the next morning, I could at least tell it was a token from Boomerz.

Attachments

• tokenbefore.jpg
    tokenbefore.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 46
  • tokenafter.jpg
    tokenafter.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, the quarter was about 3" down in a gravel lot, the mercs were in a curb strip, also about 3" down.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Other than a '51 S wheat cent, these were the only good targets other than $8.78 in clad. They were totally encrusted and nasty looking, so, I thought I'd show a before and after pic. A lot gets said pro and con about cleaning coins, but, with most of my finds, cleaning them only improves their look IMO. The Washington quarter was never going to look nice. It was just too corroded and pitted. I think the mercs came out pretty good though. The first photo was after they were just rinsed in fresh tap water. They then took a vinegar bath overnight in the end of an aluminum can, then rubbed with baking soda and rinsed.
Any day with silver is a good day!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great recovery.you’re doing very good this season..
Please send some of your good luck wishes over here to NY
Take care and HH

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love that silver and nice restoration

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread