What's new

Some "Field Found" Artifacts

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some pieces I have found in fields..
 

Attachments

  • Steve Valentine Collection 157 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 157 (Large).webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Steve Valentine Collection 159 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 159 (Large).webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Steve Valentine Collection 161 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 161 (Large).webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Steve Valentine Collection 164 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 164 (Large).webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Steve Valentine Collection 169 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 169 (Large).webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Steve Valentine Collection 186 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 186 (Large).webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Steve Valentine Collection 182 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 182 (Large).webp
    32 KB · Views: 119
  • Steve Valentine Collection 179 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 179 (Large).webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Steve Valentine Collection 176 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 176 (Large).webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Steve Valentine Collection 171 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 171 (Large).webp
    23 KB · Views: 125
  • Steve Valentine Collection 189 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 189 (Large).webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Steve Valentine Collection 191 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 191 (Large).webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Steve Valentine Collection 201 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 201 (Large).webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Steve Valentine Collection 203 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 203 (Large).webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Steve Valentine Collection 292 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 292 (Large).webp
    35 KB · Views: 115
  • Steve Valentine Collection 205 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 205 (Large).webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Steve Valentine Collection 206 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 206 (Large).webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Steve Valentine Collection 198 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 198 (Large).webp
    30 KB · Views: 124
  • Steve Valentine Collection 208 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 208 (Large).webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Steve Valentine Collection 220 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 220 (Large).webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Steve Valentine Collection 217 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 217 (Large).webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Steve Valentine Collection 212 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 212 (Large).webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Steve Valentine Collection 120 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 120 (Large).webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Steve Valentine Collection 121 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 121 (Large).webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Steve Valentine Collection 122 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 122 (Large).webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Feurt Site Collection (54).webp
    Feurt Site Collection (54).webp
    75 KB · Views: 124
  • Effigy Pipe (8).webp
    Effigy Pipe (8).webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Cones and Loafstones (12).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (12).webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Blades and Points (20).webp
    Blades and Points (20).webp
    94.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Axe20.webp
    Axe20.webp
    73.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Pics-378.webp
    Pics-378.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Pics-391.webp
    Pics-391.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_4874.webp
    100_4874.webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_4915.webp
    100_4915.webp
    28 KB · Views: 124
  • Artifact Pictures 077.webp
    Artifact Pictures 077.webp
    20 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
didn't but i will now
 
I hope you didn't think I was kidding when T asked me to kill a horsefly on his back with a shovel.....he meant it! That dude is a beast!
 
Trev, I didn't realize that was you in the pics. Now I get it. Remind me not to offend you!
 
Lol, hoe ya been Jamie buddy, dude Iowa I am addicted to hunting to much to fight much anymore, this hobby has took over my life,lol
 
just did it cause of the land fairy calling, lol had to show we are somewhat tough , lol
thanks about gorget

Ah ...i'll kick your butt Trev!! And your little Gorget too!!!:laughing7: lmfao!!!! You'd kill me i'm so out of shape!! Had to break up the tone of this post though!!! Still loving that Gorget brotha!!!!....................................GTP(Chris)
 
Lol, hoe ya been Jamie buddy, dude Iowa I am addicted to hunting to much to fight much anymore, this hobby has took over my life,lol

yeah it can really grab a hold of a person ...i've mentioned this before on here...but i've quit jobs a couple times because i found sites i knew would take months or years to dig, and just got lost for periods of time in those places. haven't for a while but i've woke myself up a few times in my sleep swinging my digger.
 
amazing finds 8-)
 
beautiful points Steve. What is the artifact that is shaped like a little cone? I have never seen one like it. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts in Southern Ohio are you located?
 
beautiful points Steve. What is the artifact that is shaped like a little cone? I have never seen one like it. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts in Southern Ohio are you located?


huntress, those are called Cones. There has been tons of speculation as to what they were used for but no one has really came up with any hard evidence to prove any of it. I am located in Scioto county right along the Ohio River.
 
my best guess on them are game pcs i mean thats the theory id go with. what i wish they were are what i seen on one of your arrowheadology post about being used to cover the eyes of the dead. Now that would be a cool artifact right there.
 
huntress, those are called Cones. There has been tons of speculation as to what they were used for but no one has really came up with any hard evidence to prove any of it. I am located in Scioto county right along the Ohio River.


I have heard that theory a couple of times at shows, but I've yet to ever see any documentation of any graves being found with them placed on the eyes. I have even heard that they are Effigies of Mounds, though that one is a little far fetched in my mind but who knows. I think a Game Piece may be the closest assessment.
 
my best guess on them are game pcs i mean thats the theory id go with. what i wish they were are what i seen on one of your arrowheadology post about being used to cover the eyes of the dead. Now that would be a cool artifact right there.

I have never heard of them coming from burials to cover the eyes. They mostly used death mask of shell(mississippian) if it was a semi important male/female100_1397.webp Something about this site has been lacking. I do not know what it is but it is different. Back to the cones. You would think the shape would symbolize something if placed over the eyes. What would that shape mean I wonder. Maybe they were just pot holders to set a pot on and keep it off the ground. It is rare we can't figure out a general use for a certain shape. Just my thoughts. After 6 years of tons of my finds on my Mac I filled my hard drive and ended up deleting all my insitus and pictures. I figure they are in cabinet and that is good enough.
 
Hey TNM my friend, be sure to keep some pictures for insurance purpose.....:icon_thumright:
 
I have never heard of them coming from burials to cover the eyes. They mostly used death mask of shell(mississippian) if it was a semi important male/femaleView attachment 649115 Something about this site has been lacking. I do not know what it is but it is different. Back to the cones. You would think the shape would symbolize something if placed over the eyes. What would that shape mean I wonder. Maybe they were just pot holders to set a pot on and keep it off the ground. It is rare we can't figure out a general use for a certain shape. Just my thoughts. After 6 years of tons of my finds on my Mac I filled my hard drive and ended up deleting all my insitus and pictures. I figure they are in cabinet and that is good enough.


wow i hate to hear you lost that much in photos esp in-situs, i almost lost all mine once, not a good feeling. But like you said at least they are in cabinet. this has me thinking i wonder what other types of artifacts are there that we don't know the purpose of?
 
I have heard that theory a couple of times at shows, but I've yet to ever see any documentation of any graves being found with them placed on the eyes. I have even heard that they are Effigies of Mounds, though that one is a little far fetched in my mind but who knows. I think a Game Piece may be the closest assessment.

Thanks guys. I was getting picture heavy is all. About those cones.. here is a site and they have COA's all over them but have yet to see what they were really for.

Penbrandt Prehistoric Artifacts - Archives

Here they discuss cones and pecked and polished tools with the theory being cones were used as a polishing implement.. A very good basic read with big stone tools and chisels and such.

http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/books/funkwebb/funkwebbch12.pdf
 
Great field finds SRV! Thanks for showing me your tine point collection for reference also.
 
SRV, I wish I could remove all the negative posts on this thread and bring it back to where it deserves to be. I, for one I really enjoy seeing your personal finds. They are very impressive, to say the least. Thanks very much for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom