Some finds from GA.

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again nothing spectacular here. Just wanted to share.

These were all surface finds from central GA.

Pic. 2 is a closer look at the better ones. These three (banded?) quartz are some of my first finds therefore some of my favorites.

Pic.3 is a closer look at the gorget/pendant. I'm not sure which to call it. Read somewhere that the difference was the number of holes drilled in the piece. Or was a gorget worn around the neck and a pendant worn farther down on the chest? As you can see, it has notches grooved in the sides. Were these made for decoration or could they be tally marks? If they are tally marks, is there a theory of what they may have been keeping tract of? Sorry if this has been covered allready. Just haven't found a post about it.

Pic. 4 has an extra bonus fossil in it.

Hope you all have a good weekend of hunting!

Attachments

• compressed photos.19.JPG
    compressed photos.19.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 303
  • compressed photos.20.JPG
    compressed photos.20.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 303
  • compressed photos.21.JPG
    compressed photos.21.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 305
  • compressed photos.22.JPG
    compressed photos.22.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pieces pynchinflint.

Does the Gorget have grinding on the broken ends like they were trying to smooth the ends? Most of the time when a piece has Tally Marks on it then it is a sign of that piece being salvaged. Yours may just fit that category. Very cool piece.

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your response DF. I really do appreciate your knowledge.

Here is a couple of pictures of both ends. As a total novice, I probably wouldn't know the difference between ginding, thinning, etc. ... lots to learn. With that said, I would have to venture a guess that this is just plain broken on both ends. Would love to hear all the opinions anyone has. Thanks again.

Attachments

• compressed photos.23.JPG
    compressed photos.23.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 205
  • compressed photos.24.JPG
    compressed photos.24.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 207

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Nice finds...I think the gorget was broken in ancient times and repaired by drilling two off center holes in each piece. The center break seems to have more patination than the lower break which seems newer. Tally marks are always neat but are they counting something or just a decoration?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Rege on the two holes more than likely being repair holes and I failed to mention that in my first post. That was another clue as to this piece being salvaged and hence the Tally Marks. It doesn't look like the ends have any polish on them and are just broken ends, but I would be wiling to bet it is definitely a salvaged artifact.

Very cool piece though pynchinflint. Thanks for sharing it with us.

angler 07

Greenie
Jan 26, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The last pic you posted, with the fossil inclusions...very cool. All the piecies you posted are quite nice. I love finding pieces made of fossiliferous material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread