Some fur trade knives

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
If Lucas is around, I'm sure he could give you lots of information on the knives. He is a expert on the subject. If your finding big iron like that I would have to think your finding lots of other interesting items, right? Lets see, please. :) Maybe I can dig out some stuff and we can have a winter show and tell.

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
That 3 tine fork with the bone handle still on it is just awesome!!! I have two knives with part of the bone handles remaining, I think they are posted on here somewhere below. Tomorrow I will take some pictures.

OP
OP
S

Saskhunter

Jan 6, 2011
mnlineman said:
Wow! That is a very handsome collection you have, congrats and thanks for sharing. Does the steel come out of the ground like that? Or do you have some tips for cleaning? Keep the pics coming please.
That is mostly all of my collection just started metal detecting last summer. I have some musket parts,broken knives, scrapers and lots of broken stuff,but thats about it. Everything I found is the way it came out of the ground except a wash and little oil.It is all sand hills where all this was found so it seems to seldom rust in sand.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an outstanding collection! Next time I am in Saskatchewan I know who I'll call! ;D

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really great collection that you've managed to put together. :icon_thumright:
How many years has this taken you, if I'm not being to bold in asking?

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Still have not taken pictures but figured I would post a old one of some side plates I found. Anyone else have any they would like to share?

Attachments

• DSC05058.JPG
    DSC05058.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,315

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
OK some cool stuff going on here I see 4 kinds of knife:

Scalpers 1, 3, 4, 6, and 11. Mostly a 19th c. shape and ones on right of 4 heavily worn.

Cartouche 2, 5, 7, 9, 10, J-C mid-19th c. # 7 reshaped.

#8 is unique never seen one.

#12 is blacksmith made.

Cross L is about 1750 to 1850 but yours are all 1800 and later looking at the shapes.

Oops didn't count the crooked knife also blacksmith type not a real late one.

Lucas

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
You have a beautiful collection I can not believe you have managed to put that together in a year with your metal detector. keep up the good work you never know what will come out of the next hole.happy hunting Moah.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread