What's new

some kind of spring

ticm

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
3,243
Reaction score
792
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dug this in the woods at around eight inches or so. Does this come off a wagon or a old car? Took a hammer to it to knok off the rust.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG0309.webp
    CIMG0309.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 308
  • CIMG0308.webp
    CIMG0308.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 291
Looks like a blacksmith's form for making wrought iron work like railings or gates.
 
Upvote 0
Not much doubt it's a scroll form.
Smith made for doing decorative iron
scroll work.

Good ID.

Great find.

Hay2
 
Upvote 0
I speak from experience....this is a scroll
form made and used by a blacksmith.
A piece of iron is pushed into the center
and wedged by the form. It is them bend
around the form to form the curve.

Note that all the welds or brazing is on the
inside of the curve, out of the way.

If the material is thin it is bent cold. If it's
hot, it's bent hot. A two prong bending fork is
used to encourage the iron to follow the form.

I have made several of these type of forms and
used many. Believe me, I know of what I speak.
Typically made from scrap and all a little different

The cross bar near the top is held in a vise.

It is an intersting find.

Hay2
 

Attachments

  • scan_0002.webp
    scan_0002.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0
Thanks for the id.. I would never had guessed. Nice drawing Hay 2 Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Scroll... for some reason I couldn't remember that word. :P

Nice drawing! Super find!
 
Upvote 0
SCROLL forms..... S scroll and C scrolls make
up about 80% of fence, gate, and balcony
work in what is usually referred to as wrought
iron. Wrought Iron is really a generic description.

Wrought Iron isn't used anymore but is still
used to describe the art form.

Wrought Iron was early Ferris metal that didn't contain
any or extremely little carbon.
The word wrought means pounded or hammered.

Thanks for looking.

Hay2
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom