What's new

Some kinda pointy tool?

DiggerDave in Pa.

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
499
Reaction score
126
Golden Thread
0
Location
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
What is this thing and how old is it? It is 1 3/4" tall X 5/8" across the bottom. It comes apart in 3 pieces. There's a pointed thing inside. It is basemarked - JAMES DIXON & SONS 12. There is a lot of pounding wear on the bottom. It looks to be old and well made. Some kinda tool? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks! DD
 

Attachments

  • MVC-627F.webp
    MVC-627F.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 362
  • MVC-628F.webp
    MVC-628F.webp
    57 KB · Views: 356
  • MVC-629F.webp
    MVC-629F.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 365
It looks like one of those combination screwdrivers that come apart with different sizes. I have one somewhere. But I believe its something for reloading.
 
Upvote 0
I had one of these given to me when I was a kid , it goes to a set of tools like screwdriver and many other types of tool heads that all went inside each larger item . It came out and could be a hammer or a large driver , or many other type of tools. I really liked it.
The whole thing was made of brass . The Idea was you could build a quick tool to take with you to do many of the small jobs you thought you might run into . Mine was made in the 1890's but my Grand Father told me that they could get the many sets up in till the 30's . As far as I know you might still be able to get these now , but I have not seen any that did all the types that this one had. The one you have looks like the leather awe . But there where many setups that came in a double drawer chest . Mine had close to 100 pieces that could be put together most any way you liked.
 
Upvote 0
If it didn't have the smallest cap I'd say it was an old oil bottle.

thumbnail.aspx


140.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Yep, it's an oiler. To big for a watch, maybe a gun of some type. Tony
 
Upvote 0
It sure looks like an oiler but Im thinking it also has another purpose.
 
Upvote 0
You are right SwampCreek as it very well may be that as stated above . And the oilier that is shown is part of the kit I was talking about , I am trying to find one now on the web that I can show . Mine has at least 100 parts and you can make all kinds of tools with it. And most of them fit inside of larger items . You could string them together to the point of ridiculous if you wanted . One of the units even has the pop bottom oil can for oiling machines .

I am not saying that this is it nor am I any kind of expert on this either, that is for sure , It just really looks like the tool set that I have and as I was told the many sets that came out. There are gun tools for older type guns and for the old Singer Sewing machines to trim hammers and ball-ping hammers in the set . I am looking to see if it is still stored at my Daughters house and not in the shipping container for the move . If I can find it there I will post some photos and you will see what I am talking about. I sent the email to see and to have her look first at the name of the company that made it I looked for the name that Digger had and could not find anything like it so I could be way off .

I wish they made something like that today as I would get one for the modern tool sets .



This is a very nice find anyway Digger congrat's on this item !
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
Yep, it's an oiler. To big for a watch, maybe a gun of some type. Tony

Thats what I remember it as,a gun oiler
 
Upvote 0
What I originally thought was a screwdriver, I can clearly now see is an oiler. I agree with the oiler, but why have 2 caps? and why the hammer marks?
 
Upvote 0
DIGGERDAVE

I AM WITH DAEDDALUS, 90%, AND IF THAT POINTED TOOL COMES OUT OF THE MIDDLE PIECE
AND CAN BE ATTATCHED TO THE TOP OF THE MIDDLE PIECE BY PUSHING THE SHARP POINT
THRU THE CENTER HOLE IN THE TOP PIECE AND LOCKED IN PLACE BY SCREWING THE TOP
TO THE MIDDLE AND THE MIDDLE TO THE BOTTOM, I'LL THROW IN THE OTHER 10%.

I'M PRETTY SURE THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY.

JUST A THOUGHT.
PROSPECTORMIKEL
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
DirtDigler said:
Thats the same link posted by Swampcreek back in reply # 3.

Im not sure we have a match unless it has an oiler inside. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
Would the bottom section of this held the oil? Why the hole on top? Inside the top there is a small concave area in the middle. There looks to be a cork casket inside the pointed end where the threads meet the bottom. DD
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom