What's new

some of our finds today

steve71

Bronze Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
1,475
Reaction score
75
Golden Thread
0
Location
TX
south texas
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0322.webp
    IMG_0322.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0312.webp
    IMG_0312.webp
    104 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0322.webp
    IMG_0322.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 430
Wow great finds...You have some great stompin grounds there....
 
Dang, that's a lot of plunder! What's the big black bone/fossil?
Love those artifacts, too--that blade is beautiful!
sandcreek~~
 
sandcreek4 said:
Dang, that's a lot of plunder! What's the big black bone/fossil?
Love those artifacts, too--that blade is beautiful!
sandcreek~~
might have been a scraper handle buffalo mostlikely
 
Very cool finds! That looks like a cat tooth bottom center can you post some more pictures of it and that tooth in the top pic looks like a Giant Armadillo tooth. 8) 8) 8) :)
 
I just love all the stuff, i keep coming back to look. Mainly that blade, but the others stuff is great too. Do you know anything about the blade, like who might have made it, or the material? It looks very well made.
 
Worthy55 said:
Very cool finds! That looks like a cat tooth bottom center can you post some more pictures of it and that tooth in the top pic looks like a Giant Armadillo tooth. 8) 8) 8) :)
cat tooth not, it is a front tooth from a buffalo and the other is a sloth tooth top pic
 
naturegirl said:
I just love all the stuff, i keep coming back to look. Mainly that blade, but the others stuff is great too. Do you know anything about the blade, like who might have made it, or the material? It looks very well made.
well it might be an adena blade or a covinton about 3000 yrs made by an native american.material just some brown flint.yes hard to come by that well made.
 
steve71 said:
Worthy55 said:
Very cool finds! That looks like a cat tooth bottom center can you post some more pictures of it and that tooth in the top pic looks like a Giant Armadillo tooth. 8) 8) 8) :)
cat tooth not, it is a front tooth from a buffalo and the other is a sloth tooth top pic

I agree on the sloth tooth I did not see it on the table. The cat tooth that I was talking about is just above the bison incisor. What is that wood thing on the right a net gage?8) 8) 8) :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0322.webp
    IMG_0322.webp
    96.2 KB · Views: 359
That would make anyone's day, great finds. :thumbsup:

Fossis............
 
the black bone looks like a fire charred buffalo bone
the one with the points on it could possibly be a dibble for planting beans or corn (just a guess)
that sure is an awful nice looking plate of stuff, just plain brutal
good going there frank
lars
 
I didnt' find them buddy.(I wish..lol)just thought you would like to see them.A was wonderin what you thought of the one piece.
 
Worthy55 said:
Very cool finds! That looks like a cat tooth bottom center can you post some more pictures of it and that tooth in the top pic looks like a Giant Armadillo tooth. 8) 8) 8) :)
i think it might be bear becouse right at same area i have found a bear tooth,thanks for your replys
 
Worthy55 said:
steve71 said:
Worthy55 said:
Very cool finds! That looks like a cat tooth bottom center can you post some more pictures of it and that tooth in the top pic looks like a Giant Armadillo tooth. 8) 8) 8) :)
cat tooth not, it is a front tooth from a buffalo and the other is a sloth tooth top pic

I agree on the sloth tooth I did not see it on the table. The cat tooth that I was talking about is just above the bison incisor. What is that wood thing on the right a net gage?8) 8) 8) :)

It's certainly not bear, and I don't think it's cat, either. To be cat, there'd have to be more space under the crown in the image for the other root. No, I think this is an unworn (in life) dire wolf carnassial with the talonid broken away.

canidcarnassialcomparison.webp​
 
Harry Pristis said:
Worthy55 said:
steve71 said:
Worthy55 said:
Very cool finds! That looks like a cat tooth bottom center can you post some more pictures of it and that tooth in the top pic looks like a Giant Armadillo tooth. 8) 8) 8) :)
cat tooth not, it is a front tooth from a buffalo and the other is a sloth tooth top pic

I agree on the sloth tooth I did not see it on the table. The cat tooth that I was talking about is just above the bison incisor. What is that wood thing on the right a net gage?8) 8) 8) :)
no its not broke have found many like the pic you posted.this one is pretty big.maybe later i'll post somemore teeth.this one is 1,3/4 is that the size youposted of the teeth.i dont know much about fossil.
 
Wow, Great finds! Tx,,,must be a great place to treasure find.
Arid.
 
I bet it was a blast picking those up!

Chuck
 
ohio said:
I bet it was a blast picking those up!

Chuck
yes very enjoyable
 

Attachments

  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    317.2 KB · Views: 246
steve71 said:
no its not broke have found many like the pic you posted.this one is pretty big.maybe later i'll post somemore teeth.this one is 1,3/4 is that the size youposted of the teeth.i dont know much about fossil.
[/quote]
The more I've looked at this tooth, steve, the more I think it may be a lower molar (m1) from a large cat -- say Smilodon or a jaguar. Here's a jaguar jaw for comparison:

catjaguarteethlabial.webpcatjaguarteethlingual.webp​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom