What's new

Some of Our Orchids

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
⛮ Administrator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
56,448
Reaction score
72,693
Golden Thread
0
Some of our Vanda orchids in bloom.... i built small garden area in front for the hanging vandas, the only problem I have is bringing all of them in the house during hard freezes and hurricanes.
1000005710.webp

1000016793.webp


1000005509.webp


Some of our in house orchids we have about 18 in house.
1000019022.webp


1000019010.webp


1000019009.webp


1000018984.webp


Picture below is from this week, most of our orchids in bay window are in between blooms... We fertilize our orchids weekly with bloom buster fertilizer so they are constantly blooming.
1000030623.webp
 
I love your orchids! I lost all but one in the freeze. Mine were attached to trees so I tried covering them but it didn't help. I only had about 6, nothing like what yours are. Your vandys are beautiful but I never was able to get any to bloom. What kind of parakeet is that, it's beautiful.
 
I love your orchids! I lost all but one in the freeze. Mine were attached to trees so I tried covering them but it didn't help. I only had about 6, nothing like what yours are. Your vandys are beautiful but I never was able to get any to bloom. What kind of parakeet is that, it's beautiful.

Use what is called bloom buster on orchids, it will force blooms, and they need to be watered every day, many times we water those outside twice a day, morning and afternoons.

My parrot Ruby is a Vosmaeri Eclectus, her subspecies is Solomon Island the largest of Eclectus family. They are found in south pacific, Australia, New Guinea area. Had her since she was 9 months old, she is 23 now.

Our other parrot is Lucky, a Yellow Nape Amazon, got him as rescue at age of 6 when owner decided to travel and was afraid he would stress out and start plucking feathers. He is 19 now, average lifespan for both is 65 if you take care of them.

I have had 2 other parrots, both were quakers, but they passed years ago.

Lucky
1000017714.webp


Ruby
f76f2617-369f-471d-8b47-6318ab30bc56-1_all_551.webp


1000025186.webp



This was our parrot Jade.

1000007637.webp



1000008082.webp
 
Last edited:
So which one is the Devil whispering in your ear, and which is the angel? 8-)

Just kidding. Beautiful birds, and beautiful orchids. My mother-in-law loved orchids and grew several in pots. They never bloomed for her, but when she brought them to our house they bloomed and haven't stopped since. (I think it's the lighting.)

IMG_3661.webp

IMG_1609.webp
 
So which one is the Devil whispering in your ear, and which is the angel? 8-)

Just kidding. Beautiful birds, and beautiful orchids. My mother-in-law loved orchids and grew several in pots. They never bloomed for her, but when she brought them to our house they bloomed and haven't stopped since. (I think it's the lighting.)

View attachment 2249717
View attachment 2249718

Ruby is red parrot, she is a lover and likes to be held, Lucky is the green one, doesn't really like to be held much, loves to talk, but does like to be put on his back in lap and I then play with in him with my fingers.

Both could easily bite a finger off if they really wanted to.
 
Lovely orchids, I got an orchid for my wife about three to four years ago and it has flowered since with a month to two month pause without any blooming since I got it. All I do is water it. While growing up in Africa I remember always seeing the African Grey's and also the small peach faced parakeet. They were always in the mango tees eating the ripe ones.
 
My wife is Asian and loves orchids, so we have lots of orchids. We currently have 17 orchids inside our home and 40 orchids mostly vandas outside in the little Pergola I built off the front porch. I rotate them as they bloom, so blooms are always front and center to view and enjoy.
 
Beautiful flowers. Tropical flowers are much nicer than our Midwest varieties.
When we lived in Missouri we had a lot of Tulips, they do don't grow well here, winters rarely get cold for any length of times and they need long period of continuous cold.

We had Tulips, Black Eye Susan's, various Cone flowers, and couple others there.
 
Amazing orchids that you have. The mrs said"High maintenance" when I mentioned the watering aspect. :laughing7:
Beautiful parrots, I always said they make a lifelong friend as a pet.
Though for the biting the finger comment-so can many animals do the same if they choose to.
 
Orchids are a very interesting plant family, very diverse as well. My wife has a couple and says they are finicky. You guys are doing good work to keep all those thriving!
 
WOW TH, what some beautiful Orchids. It appears you have some rare orchids in the mix. I would say they are award winning for sure. Pepole tend to think they have to constantly fuss over orchids, but they do best when left alone with minimal watering in humid weather and periodic watering during the dry season with a monthly Orchid boost mixer diet.

Now your birds on the other hand are two of the best looking and well kept that I have seen. I had a male Eclectus parrot several years ago, which had a 50 word vocabulary. He spoke so well that I had to constantly watch what I said around him or he would repeat it during some of the most inappropriate opportunities.
 
I currently own a small Senegal parrot that is like having a perpetual 2 year old that will never grow up and that has a temperament to boot. When she looks at you, it's like she is thinking (I might look calm right now, but in my head, I have bitten you three times). I always ask prospective bird owners who want to buy a parrot, are you willing to take the occasional BITE?
 
Back in the 90's I would do parrot rescues on a small scale. One we received once was a Senegal named Bubba. What a nut! He loved to cozy up then nip you. He chewed through the plywood and shingles one day and when I got home he was in the nearby trees over our pond. I put a feeder outside the cage and he lived in the trees for years. One day he was gone, I wish him well the crazy coot.
 
Back in the 90's I would do parrot rescues on a small scale. One we received once was a Senegal named Bubba. What a nut! He loved to cozy up then nip you. He chewed through the plywood and shingles one day and when I got home he was in the nearby trees over our pond. I put a feeder outside the cage and he lived in the trees for years. One day he was gone, I wish him well the crazy coot.
You know what I'm referring to. But who was supposed to rescue you from him? I bought into the hype that Senegal parrots were touted to be apartment birds because they made less noise at least that is what I told my wife when we rescued her about 16 years ago. She was named Tiki by her previous owner. There is no such thing as an apartment bird, she can raise the roof and does quite often.
 
You know what I'm referring to. But who was supposed to rescue you from him? I bought into the hype that Senegal parrots were touted to be apartment birds because they made less noise at least that is what I told my wife when we rescued her about 16 years ago. She was named Tiki by her previous owner. There is no such thing as an apartment bird, she can raise the roof and does quite often.
Mine can get noisy, but I found they love the Chinese noodles you get at Chinese takeout with soup, 3 noodles and they go quiet as they eat them, afterwards they are quiet.

Neither one of my parrots get excessively loud, usually it isn't screaming or squawking, its talking loud.

My Amazon (green one) will start saying "Hey, what you doing" or Hello, hello, hello, when he wants attention.

The Eclectus (red one), starts saying I love you," over and over when she wants attention.
Neither one would I call an apartment bird though.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom